Opinion: Absent students of shooter threat thankfully not assigned Saturday school

Alexander Kolshorn, Staff Writer

On Monday, April 8, the majority of students at Bonita Vista High responded to the threats made against BVH on Instagram by not attending school out of the then warranted fear of being shot in a possible massacre.

It was rumored that students would be assigned Saturday School for fighting for their own safety, but thankfully this was not that case

Still, some say that the students who missed school were just trying to ‘play hookey,’ and that because police were present on campus as a precaution, these hundreds of students should be given an unexcused absence — the most common reason why people are assigned Saturday School.

In the end, Saturday School was not assigned because more than half of BVH students were absent that day. Campus hallways looked empty during passing periods, nutrition break, and lunch. Most classes that day also only had between five and eight students present.

Some students may still not feel safe attending school as the person who made the first threat to the BVH student body has not been taken into custody. However, the person responsible for the second threat, a student at BVH, was taken into custody and later released to his parents. Both accounts that made the threats have used different photos to hide their true identities.

It was great that BVH allowed students not to take a risk after the threats for one day and they allowed them to relax and put their own safety first. No student should have to go to school and fear that they could be in serious danger.