Categories:

Misdirected spotlight plagues the media

Attention often focuses on the less deserving aspects of tragedy.

The glorification of perpetrators has been a troubling trend for decades. Oftentimes media coverage fixates on the offenders of a crime rather than the victims or the gravity of the situation. For example, we frequently hear about ‘school shooting by [adolescent age],’ but we rarely see headlines focused on the victims. Our attention is more drawn to the wrongdoers rather than those who are truly affected.

While it is understandable that the actions of perpetrators can be shocking and demand public attention, there needs to be a shift in focus. There should be more emphasis on the individuals and families enduring these tragedies. They are the ones living through the aftermath, and their stories deserve the spotlight.

The issue with glorification in the media is that it often gives undue attention to individuals or aspects of a story that may not deserve it, which distorts public perception. Focus should be shifted to what is truly important. Harmful influences can have far-reaching effects, and it is clear that a greater emphasis on the right issues and attitudes could lead to more meaningful recognition and understanding of these situations. By directing attention where it truly matters, a more informed and empathetic society will be fostered.

To illustrate this problem, consider the coverage of recent high-profile incidents. Take, for example, the school shooting in Omaha Northwest High School, Nebraska. In Sept. 2024, a fourteen year old student shocked the nation when he brought a firearm to school and opened fire, injuring several students and tragically taking the life of four. The incident sparked widespread media coverage and public outrage. 

However, much of the attention in the days that followed focused on the shooter himself—his background, his motivations, and his personal struggles. The New York Post’s headline, “Teen shot by 14-year-old classmate at Nebraska high school, suspect arrested: police,” centers primarily on the perpetrator, referring to the victim only as a ‘teen’ without any further acknowledgment. This framing minimizes the impact of the tragedy and overlooks the human element of the victim’s experience.

News outlets ran in-depth profiles of the perpetrator, delving into his troubled past and speculating on the reasons that led to the tragic event. Social media platforms also became flooded with discussions about the shooter’s life, with some users even turning him into a symbol for larger societal problems, such as bullying and mental health crises. Meanwhile, the victims of the shooting—those whose lives were directly impacted—received far less coverage.

Their stories of resilience, grief, and recovery were overshadowed by the media’s fascination with the shooter, who undeniably does not deserve this level of glorification. Furthermore, not only does this case raise critical questions but so do many other instances. This leaves civilians questioning the role the media plays in shaping public attention and how society often glorifies the wrong individuals in moments of crisis, leaving the true, impacted victims and sidelined.

The media has shown before clearly in the coverage of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that there is hyperfixation over the perpetrator rather than the victims and the actual issue within itself. The Newsweek headline “Why Adam Lanza Did It” centers solely on him, overshadowing the victims and their stories once again. This intense scrutiny of the perpetrator overshadowed the critical stories of the victims.

While the media noted that many of the victims were children, the coverage often failed to delve deeply into their individual lives and the profound impact on their families. The adult victims received even less attention, their stories frequently relegated to brief mentions. While the actions of the perpetrator were undeniably significant, the victims’ experiences—their lives, their struggles, and the impact on their loved ones—were overshadowed. This imbalance not only distorts public perception but also fails to adequately honor those who have been directly affected by such events. Shifting the media’s focus to the individuals enduring these hardships leads to a more compassionate and accurate portrayal of these tragedies.

Another example of misplaced hyperfixation in the media can be seen in the coverage of the recent school shooting at Apalachee High School in Georgia. A CNN headline reported, “Georgia school shooter hid an AR-15-style rifle in his backpack and left class with his bag the morning of the deadly rampage,” detailing the shooter’s actions during this tragic event, solely focusing on what he did rather than the victims of his actions. 

The media’s emphasis on perpetrators often hinges on psychological appeal and audience engagement. Stories about offenders, especially those involved in extreme or violent acts, tap into deep-rooted curiosity and fear. Audiences are naturally drawn to understanding what drives individuals to commit such heinous acts, seeking explanations that make sense of the chaos. This fascination with the perpetrators background, motives and psychological state captivates viewers and readers, leading to higher engagement and increased consumption of news content. Consequently, media outlets prioritize these compelling narratives to attract attention and boost ratings, often at the expense of providing a more balanced and respectful portrayal of the victims.

Neglecting to bring up the victims’ stories can have profound consequences. When media narratives center around perpetrators, it diminishes the experiences of those who have suffered. Victims often feel further exploited by a media landscape that fails to recognize their pain, loss and resilience. This oversight can lead to a lack of public empathy and understanding for the complexities of their situations, making it more challenging for them to heal and rebuild their lives. 

Moreover, when society doesn’t hear the voices of victims, their stories risk becoming footnotes in the history of tragic events, further erasing their identities and struggles. In the end, giving victims the platform they deserve is essential for fostering a more compassionate society, one that truly understands the weight of such tragedies and the resilience of those who endure them.