Categories:

A return back to BVH

BVH welcomes new AP alumni
New BVH AP, Sophia Gray Ramos, works at her office located in the main office. She creates a lively environment to ensure students feel welcome in her room.
Mac Alonzo

Starting the new 2024-2025 school year, Sophia Gray Ramos began her position as the new AP of  BVH. Gray herself is a BVH alumni, and was inspired to pursue education due to her positive experiences she encountered during her time at BVH. 

“I had said I was determined to [pursue education] when I was here at BVH, as a student. I had a teacher, [Jennifer] Ekstein, and another teacher, so between the two of them they really shaped who I eventually wanted to become. They were very passionate about their jobs and they made learning fun,” Gray said. 

Gray enjoys a more adaptive and individual student focused teaching style. She aims to replicate something similar, in hopes she will be able to be there for students when they need it. Gray has been in several different education related positions such as being an AP at Eastlake Middle School. Her role as AP at BVH requires the ability to communicate effectively with students and staff alike. BVH AP, Tyler Arciaga, is one of the several people Gray works and communicates with on a daily basis. 

“Upon meeting her, she is very knowledgeable about processes in the main office. She has really good experience from her teachings at different high schools to administrative experience. I was very impressed that she is working on her Doctorate [Degree]. She is a very motivated individual,” Arciaga said. 

Although Gray has not been at BVH as an AP for long, Arciaga feels that she works well with the staff. Gray’s previous experiences give her a lot of credibility and a sense of reliability. However, she is not only knowledgeable when it comes to administrative activities, but more passionate about the social side of things as well. 

“I think I have a really good heart and I am always open to listening to students and their needs. I feel like sometimes students see us as people that do not really have outside lives or have our own experience,” Gray said. “We all come with experiences from situations that have impacted us and I think that I can relate to that and be a listening ear for someone that might be in need. I am not just here to get people in trouble, I am also here to support and make sure you guys are successful.” 

As an AP, Gray assists with behavioral issues students face, as well as 504 recommendations, which are plans to accommodate students with disabilities. This means that Gray acknowledges students’ well being as her priority. She enjoys being able to have the opportunity to help them in any way she can and essentially being a helping hand for students. BVH Principal, Lee Romero,  believes Gray is exceptionally equipped to assist students. 

“What I love about her is that when she came to this school, she was an English Language Development (ELD) student. She was a student that came here speaking no English and she learned it. She went through that route in high school, and in college. She brings a different element here because she came from another place and then came here. She had to learn English and had to learn the system. I think she is valuable at a school like ours,” Romero said.

Gray was born in Guadalajara, Mexico and lived there until she was twelve years old. Gray’s personal experience with navigating BVH as a student from another country allows her to better relate to ELD students, who might be going through things she did when she was in a position similar to others. Moreover, Gray enjoys the environment of the community at current-day BVH, and looks forward to school events. 

“I love the culture and climate that Mr. Romero has helped build here. It makes coming to work a fun place to be. The one thing that would be cool to see a little more of is school spirit. I think the assemblies are awesome, and it would be great if we had more students participate in spirit days. Seeing more students at the football games and seeing more students being a part of the DogPound would be really cool,” Gray said.

As a previous Baron herself, Gray feels excited to be back home. Therefore, Gray believes that coming to BVH was the next step in the right direction for her professional career. Making students feel welcome and fostering school spirit is important, but when it comes down to it, Gray has a specific role as an AP. Arciaga explains how Gray impacts and contributes to BVH.

“She is in charge of different elements of curriculum development and she has assisted in various projects that have gone around the school. She has been very helpful with some disciplinary issues as well, like working with our teachers to help make their classrooms better,” Arciaga said. 

Although there is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to a new job, Gray’s passion and confidence makes it an easy transition. Which is why Gray’s tech-savviness comes in handy in a position like hers. Her personality is another thing that elevates her abilities as AP.

“She has got a really fun, bubbly personality and  she brings some humor to our group. When you think of this group, we have Carlos Siragusa, AP David Cobian, and Arciaga,  they seem like not very funny people. She brings levity and fun here. She is a welcome addition to the staff,” Romero said.