In Chula Vista, a front lawn is adorned by a sign that reads “Class of 2020 #allinthistogether Bonita Vista High School Senior”. Many seniors in San Diego County have purchased these signs from different sources in order to celebrate their graduation from high school. (Lucia Rivera)
In Chula Vista, a front lawn is adorned by a sign that reads “Class of 2020 #allinthistogether Bonita Vista High School Senior”. Many seniors in San Diego County have purchased these signs from different sources in order to celebrate their graduation from high school.

Lucia Rivera

Parent launches custom lawn sign business to honor 2020 graduates

May 23, 2020

Bonita Vista High (BVH) seniors departed school on Mar. 13 uncertain about their high school future as the spread of COVID-19, more widely known as the coronavirus, forced all schools in the Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) to close early for spring break. A scheduled return on April 6 was then cancelled as the Governor of California, Gavin Newsom, officially proclaimed that all schools in the state were to remain closed for the rest of the school year. 

With the school year cancelled, senior events at BVH, such as Graduation and Prom, were cancelled by administration. With most seniors losing notable high school experiences, parent Yarina Hernandez launched a custom yard sign business for schools around SUHSD in an effort to help seniors cope with the loss of their end-of-high school experiences. 

Hernandez credits her idea of making the signs to her daughter, who is a senior. For Hernandez, she feels the signs give seniors hope, and unifies them in a time of crisis all around the globe.

“These kids need to know that their entire community is behind them and understands their sense of loss. All [school] milestones in a kids’ life should be celebrated,” Hernandez said. 

The BVH yard signs, retailing at twelve dollars with a two dollar delivery fee, read “Class of 2020 #allinthistogether.” Those who were interested in purchasing a sign contacted Hernandez through Facebook. Then, Hernandez, along with other parents, delivered the signs to students’ homes. After nearly two months of selling, Hernandez sold over 300 signs for BVH students, parents and staff, and stated that the signs have provoked emotional reactions from students receiving them. 

“We have gotten the nicest messages from parents telling us that the signs have cheered up their seniors and helped them realize that their parents and our entire community is mourning the loss of their senior year,” Hernandez said. 

For example, the parents of BVH senior Kamilah Ambriz surprised her with a sign to motivate her during the rest of her senior year. Ambriz, who was grieving no longer having the opportunity to participate in traditional end-of-senior year activities, expressed that the gift was much more than just a yard sign. 

“I think it signifies the resilience that us twelfth graders have. It’s showing us that no matter how tough things get, we’ll get past this and once we do we will come out stronger,” Ambriz said. 

Two “Class of 2020” signs stand in the front yard of a Chula Vista home. These signs are not particular to any specific school, but read “Love our Grad!” along the bottom of the sign. (Lucia Rivera)

Similar to Ambriz, senior Richzeska Fandino also was given a sign, however she believes that the sign serves as a symbol of solidarity for the 2020 senior class. 

“[The signs] will allow us to celebrate being seniors and the photos with them will be memories we can look back on in the future,” Fandino said. “Overall, the signs are very much appreciated and continue to cheer the spirits of seniors and their families who are dealing with this time of great uncertainty.”

In addition to BVH, Hernandez also sells personalized yard signs to schools around San Diego County, collaborating with other mothers to deliver the signs around the city, and spreading the business throughout social media. As a result, Hernandez has been contacted by parents of kindergarteners, sixth graders, eighth graders and college graduates who want to create signs to celebrate their childrens’ accomplishments. 

“We created a general black and white sign for parents who want to honor their kids, but who don’t have a school specific sign available [to them]. Our goal from day one has been to get them [signs] to as many students as possible,” Hernandez said. 

After success with her yard signs, Hernandez is now working to get SUHSD to plan commencement ceremonies for the Class of 2020. As of now, there is no scheduled date for a graduation ceremony, however several schools have already begun to reach out and do some type of recognition, with everything dependent on their respective State and County public health guidelines. Regardless, Hernandez believes seniors deserve a graduation ceremony. 

“We don’t want a virtual slideshow, or a drive through event, these kids need closure,” Hernandez said. “I think many of the seniors would give anything to have just one more day. They need to say goodbye to this chapter in their life before they can move on emotionally.”         

the Crusader • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All the Crusader Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *