Melina Ramirez

The amount of COVID-19 cases among students and staff over the span of Nov., Dec. and Jan.. With Eastlake peaking in Jan. with 191 cases, BVH isn’t far behind at 106 cases.

There is no plan

What it takes for BVH to return to distance learning

Whispers of “distance learning” spread throughout the classrooms of Bonita Vista High (BVH)the same two words circulating through the halls for the past two years. Burning rumors lead many to wonder what circumstances are needed to force students back into distance learning. According to Assistant Principal Esther Wise, the call to shut schools down is solely up to Governor Gavin Newsom. 

Students that contract COVID must warn the administration of their positive COVID-19 status and check in with the teachers of their absences. Despite their excused absences, students are still expected to complete school work depending on their well-being. Wise states that even if BVH had 300 to 400 students out for COVID, the school would still have to await instruction from Newsom. 

“I would say that we do have students that are absent, but when they’re absent it is because they want to keep everybody else safe,” Wise said.

According to BVH Principal Roman Del Rosario, Ed.D., in the last two weeks, there has been a total of 20 percent of students out due to contracting COVID-19, as well as 10 teachers.

When students are sick and absent, they are told to stay home. Additionally, students can access their schoolwork and classes online if they are sick due to the transition to online caused the pandemic.

“If you have a headache, fever, body aches [or] all those symptoms that we used to have before COVID, you have to take your temperature [and do] that at home. You should follow that because if you come to school, and you’re not feeling well, there could be a possibility that your immune system is a little low, and maybe you caught something,” Wise said.

Del Rosario mentioned that he has no intention of closing BVHs campus. Instead, he is taking action to prevent these situations from happening, starting with adjusting COVID-19 protocols. An example of a new protocol is the adoption of synchronous learning in which students who are absent due to COVID-19 can log onto Zoom or Google Meets opened by their teacher. 

The most important thing is to maintain the six-foot social distance and make sure that you’re wearing masks, even if you’re vaccinated. When you’re indoors make sure you have your mask on, that’s the most important thing. If you do happen to have some symptoms, stay home, because that prevents the spread as well,” Del Rosario said.

In order to keep schools open in California, the Office of Governor Newsom states that Newsom lowered state barriers that prevent qualified short-term substitutes from being hired, while also allowing for the possibility of their assignments being extended. He has also provided additional flexibility to support retired teachers that return to the classroom while making that process easier for them as well. 

We’re working closely with local education officials to cut red tape to allow qualified substitute teachers to help maintain safe learning environments. We are grateful for the thousands of dedicated teachers, classified staff, and administrators who have worked tirelessly to provide safe learning environments for all of California’s students,” Newsom said. 

Del Rosario wants parents and staff to encourage students to get tested and stay home if they feel sick. Wise wants everyone to self-monitor themselves at home if they do not feel well. 

“We’ve always been very cautious as a district. I truly believe that the decisions we’re making are in the best interests of students’ safety. I have a high level of confidence that we’re safe here, coming to school, and that we’re doing everything we can to keep students safe,” Del Rosario said.

There are no clear guidelines that have been published by the state. The response Del Rosario received is that they are not planning to go back to distance learning; BVH is utlizing the protocols based on recommendations from the county and public health guidelines. 

Currently, there is no plan to return to distance learning. However, if BVH reaches a certain number of COVID-19 cases among students and staff, BVH would return to distance learning. That does not mean that a plan won’t be developed if COVID-19 circumstances worsen.

“California was the first state in the nation to add the COVID-19 vaccine to the list of vaccinations required to attend school in-person when fully authorized for applicable grade spans and implement a standard that all school staff either show proof of full vaccination or be tested at least once per week,” The Office of Newsom said. “The state provides no-cost testing at 4,400 school sites and has distributed approximately 13 million take-home tests to schools for students since early December, when the Omicron variant was first detected, in order to supplement schools’ efforts to ensure safe in-person education.”

According to Del Rosario, every staff member is doing everything they can to keep students safe in school. He also encourages everyone to get vaccinated.

“There isn’t really a plan right now to go back into distance learning. We’re monitoring the data very carefully, and it appears that we’ve just gotten through the worst of it and this latest [Omicron] variant, and things seem to be turning the corner and getting slightly better,” Del Rosario said.

the Crusader • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All the Crusader Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *