Finding their future field

Baseball Players commit to and are scouted by colleges

Jeadan Andre

Daniel Mcelveny, who is a junior, varsity baseball player and commit- ted to University of San Diego (USD), is practicing with a coach as practice is starting to end.

Jeadan Andre, Staff Writer

Players on the Bonita Vista High (BVH) baseball team have recently committed to colleges, while others have even been viewed by colleges and Major League Baseball (MLB) scouts at the games. Varsity baseball players from all grades have been noticed by colleges and MLB teams alike.

“We have a lot of guys in our program that I get asked questions about all the time, including freshmen, sophomores and juniors, not just the seniors,” head baseball coach Dave Palet said.

There are certain players on the baseball team that have received interest from colleges including University of Southern California (USC), University of Oregon and Long Beach State University. Varsity baseball player and senior Nathan Nankil is committed to Cal State Fullerton and varsity baseball player and junior Daniel McElveny is committed to the University of San Diego (USD).

“I’m committed to USD right now [so I will be] staying in my hometown, San Diego. [It is] a great campus, great baseball team, [great] coaches. Everything there just shouted my name, McElveny said.

Coaches have a large role in helping players get better and have the ability to commit to colleges. Not only can coaches help players on the field, but with contacts of colleges and getting them in positions to get their talent recognized.

“I talked to the players and ask[ed] them where they want to go.  When they give me an idea of what school they want to go to, I’ll make phone calls and try and put those kids in position to get to the school they feel most comfortable with. Because there’s nothing worse than committing to a school and then once you get there, you realize it’s a bad fit,” Palet said.

Colleges have recognized these players, but MLB scouts have also come to evaluate the players to potentially have an MLB team draft them in the MLB draft on June 10. Scouts are at many of the team’s games and can bring pressure to the players that they watch.

“I’ve played multiple games with scouts in the crowds and got an adrenaline boost like no other. It really pushes you to do your best and have a good time too,” McElveny said.

These players have played baseball outside of school and in travel baseball teams in order to prepare themselves for college, and even the MLB. An organization that helps develop and assist baseball players in Southern California is the San Diego SHOW.

“I’ve played with San Diego SHOW and San Diego Stars. I’ve been playing with [SHOW] since junior year and I’ve been going to Florida, Arizona, Georgia [for] those tournaments,” Nankil said.

Players, such as Nankil and McElveny, have been playing baseball for almost their whole life in order to improve their skills. Players’ parents have encouraged these students to dedicate time to baseball practices and games.

“Ever since I was little, [my dad] always [had] a baseball tee [stand] and made me hit it, but he’s the one who got me started,” said Nankil. “[He] has helped me [along with] the coaches from the San Diego SHOW and Stars. They helped me a lot to get me where I am.”

Not only have parents helped players get to where they are, but BVH coaches have helped players get into a position where they can be seen by colleges and MLB teams. The coaches work with players to be able to do their best and be prepared for a higher level of competition, according to Palet

“I imagine we will have a ton of Major League scouts at every single one of our games. there 30 teams of pro baseball and I expect close to 30 scouts at every single game” Palet said.