Andiamo! From the “Porta Magica” to Italy

Italian teacher Robert Pirazzini curates the BVH Italian program

Eliza Noblejas

Bonita Vista High Italian teacher Robert Pirazzini has a bright look on his face, as his period 5 class practices speaking in Italian through presentations. Pirazzini appreciates his students who are trying their best.

Upbeat Italian music blasts in the air as students enter the “Porta Magica,” a magic door to room 605 that transports them into the world of Italy. Bonita Vista High (BVH) 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Italian teacher Robert Pirazzini has shared his passion for the Italian language and culture with his students for 17 years. 

“I love to teach my students about the Italian language and Italian culture. I appreciate it when my students are really enthusiastic because it gives me energy and keeps me young,” Pirazzini said. “I enjoy it when students fall in love with the Italian language and culture and want to travel there and learn more about it.”

Although Pirazzini initially wanted to become a firefighter, his parents—both teachers—inspired him to pursue teaching. Due to this, Pirazzini had the ambition to start a new route in his career journey.

[Prof. Pirazzini’s Italian class] prepared me to start my dream. Throughout these years he gave and showed us the light. He was the guide to find where you want to go

— Former BVH Italian student Adrian Romero Jr.

“At first, I was a history teacher. Then my wife and I moved to Italy for two years, [where] we taught at an IB school. When I came back [to BVH], I asked the principal if I could start up an Italian program,” Pirazzini said. “There are only, as I know of, three Italian high school programs in San Diego County, so I thought it was something unique that I could bring to our school.” 

Throughout his career at BVH, he has inspired many of his Italian students. Some have gone as far to move to Italy. Former BVH Italian student Adrian Romero Jr. explains that his experiences with Pirazzini inspired him to further his education on the Italian culture. 

“He’s one of the greatest teachers I ever had in my life. Any student who has him is a lucky person because they’re in for an eye-opening experience. When you’re in his classroom you’re somewhere else. He’ll forever be my teacher,” Romero Jr. said. 

For as long as Romero could remember, he wanted to travel the world. Once he started attending BVH, he took the chance to join Pirazzini’s class, not knowing the opportunities he would gain later on.

“I got to be part of [the foreign exchange program] two times and it was an eye-opening experience. There are no words to explain it. It’s something beyond what you get to really experience at the moment. After those experiences, it made me realize I belong abroad,” Romero said. 

Romero’s experience with Pirazzini’s classes has been nothing but enjoyable. Another former student Samantha Bane explains her memorable experience, participating in the Italian exchange program.

“Before COVID-19, there used to be an Italian exchange with a high school in Northern Italy,” Bane said. “I did that my junior year and that was my first time traveling outside of [America]. It was such a unique experience to have.”

Bane’s experiences in Italy led her to become immersed in the Italian culture. She decided to study in Italy after graduating high school in 2018. As Bane got the opportunity to study abroad, she expressed her gratitude for the opportunities Pirazzini’s class offered. She believes that BVH is fortunate to have an Italian program and a teacher who cares about his students.

“I think Prof is a really great example of someone who will go the extra mile to make sure that you feel comfortable enough in class to challenge yourself and get something out of it every day. He will guide you down that path of learning a new language, which is really challenging,” Bane said. 

As the 2022-2023 school year marks Pirazzini’s 25th year of teaching at BVH, the Italian program still to flourishes. Pirazzini continues to inspire his students with Italian culture and language, ultimately showing them the importance of Italy and its culture. 

“[Prof. Pirazzini’s Italian class] prepared me to start my dream. Throughout these years he gave and showed us the light. He was the guide to find where you want to go,” Romero Jr. said. “Prof. showed us the way and [from that point on], you decide where you want to go.”