Bonita Robotics Club makes quarterfinals at VEX Robotics tournament

Lucia Rivera, Features Editor

Bonita Vista High robotics Team 751A made it to the quarterfinals in their last robotics tournament of the school year on Jan 20, winning seven out of 10 matches. This was despite their position as an “underdog” according to BVH sophomore and Robotics Club member Jackson Loughney. The VEX robotics tournament started at eight in the morning at Montgomery High School and continued well into the afternoon.  
Lucia Rivera
A diagram of the field on which each match took place. There were four fields in total at the tournament, with two used for practicing.

BVH’s other team, 751B, lost during the first playoff rounds.

The MHS cafeteria was adorned with their typical mascot decorations along with many posters of robotic team names and codes of conduct for the tournament. In front of the bleachers the two fields for the rounds were set up. Each one had three platforms, poles with flags and yellow balls that the robots interacted with during each round. Each robot gained different amounts of points when they climbed on top platforms or hit a flag with a ball. Each match had four teams competing, paired 2 v 2. The pair of teams that scored the most points won that match.

Lucia Rivera
Sophomore Isabel Caballero, freshman Diego Nunes, and freshman Aaron Arce (left to right) wait with their robot for their upcoming match. Each match begins with an autonomous period announced through microphones by the adults running the tournament.

Along with BVH, many Sweetwater Union High School District robotics teams participated in the tournament such as Mar Vista High School, Sweetwater High School and Palomar High School. The champions of the SUHSD VEX Robotic League were San Ysidro High School Teams 8301E and 8301D. Additionally, Otay Ranch High School’s Team 507A received an Excellence Award. These three teams will move on to the State competition.