A positive addition

Official COVID-19 tester recently hired at BVH

On+Monday+Jan+23%2C+District+volunteer+Cyaira+Walker+administers+COVID-19+tests+available+to+students+and+teachers%0Ain+room+204+from+8am+to+4pm+Monday-Friday+

Uriel Lopez

On Monday Jan 23, District volunteer Cyaira Walker administers COVID-19 tests available to students and teachers in room 204 from 8am to 4pm Monday-Friday

In room 204, students can be found receiving a COVID-19 test or flu test from Cyaira Walker, the new COVID-19 tester on Bonita Vista High’s (BVH) campus. California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has provided 12 on-site COVID-19 testers to support school testing throughout the Sweetwater Union High School District. Walker’s first day as a new staff member was on Jan. 23. 

COVID-19 procedures are found to be constantly updating and changing, such as how often students and staff need to be tested. In the past, the COVID-19 procedures instructed that it was not necessary for those who had COVID-19 in the last 90 days to test. BVH school nurse Bernadette Currin explains how this timeline has changed. 

“It used to be if you had COVID-19 in the last 90 days, you did not have to test for certain scenarios or situations, but now it’s 30 days. So if you had COVID-19 in the last 30 days, then you wouldn’t have to test if you were a close contact,” Currin said.

“It used to be if you had COVID-19 in the last 90 days, you did not have to test for certain scenarios or situations, but now it’s 30 days,

— BVH school nurse Bernadette Currin

Aside from working at BVH, Walker is also a phlebotomist; someone who works with a  healthcare team to draw blood for tests and research purposes. She works to draw blood at a military base for Navy SEALs and is an assistant nurse at Alvarado Hospital. Walker was contacted by BVH administration, advised by the CDPH, to come work as a COVID-19 tester for staff and students.

Students now have the opportunity to take an in-person rapid test with Walker. If students choose to take the in-person test, Walker is available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Staff and students can walk into room 204 or contact her by email at [email protected] in advance. Walker and Currin actively communicate with one another when a student needs to be tested

“[The nurse] sends me a COVID-19 positive list and lets me know if a student has a fever or is feeling sick. She will send them over here and they will fill out a survey for all their contact information. Their parents will get a consent form, test them and send their parents the results,” Walker said.

The alternative to having an in person COVID-19 test is to visit Currin in her office. If a student has any common flu symptoms such as a cough or fever they are advised to be tested. Students will then be secluded with a mask either inside the office or in a chair located outside the main office building while they wait for their parents to pick them up.

“Usually, I send [students] home with a test kit. If the family chooses to utilize that they need consent, but the most important thing is to test,” Currin said.

If a student is sent home with a home test by Currin, they are required to take a second rapid test 12 hours later. Two negative tests are needed to return back to the school campus. Assistant Principal Esther Wise emphasizes the benefits of having an on campus COVID tester.

“We are excited to share the expansion of testing capabilities for our students and staff. Symptomatic students and staff are encouraged to take a newly provided test to identify whether a person is infected with COVID-19. Soon Flu A or Flu B [the two types of influenza] tests will be available at BVH,” Wise said. 

It is recommended that whenever a student is feeling unwell to either get tested or stay home, for the sake of themselves and those around them. Having an in-person tester allows for students and staff to have an alternative option on campus with easy access to go and get results in a matter of a few minutes. 

“I would advise [students] to stay home if they are sick. If they are sick, do not get in contact with other students or else [they can] pass whatever you have. If you do feel sick, come by and get tested,” Walker said.