Rising above your circumstance

Otay Ranch High School hosts the annual Rise Student Conference

Maddie Almodovar

Moderator Kendall Steward and Black Student Union (BSU) president and senior Benitel Kabongo exchange numbers. Steward attended BVH and emphasizes how black sororities creates connections even past high school. Kabongo attended Steward’s “Why join a black fraternity or sorority” workshop.

“Lift every voice and sing, till earth and heaven ring, ting with the harmonies of liberty; let our rejoicing rise High as the list’ning skies, let it resound loud as the rolling sea,” The Black National Anthem “Let every Voice and Sing,” James Weldone Johnson.
On Feb. 4, Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) community members gathered around the Otay Ranch High (ORH) Pavillion, in preparation for the annual Rise Student Conference. This conference has been around for several decades, but this was the first time the conference occurred after the COVID-19 pandemic. Event coordinator Dr. Kasimu Harley expands on the goals for this event.
“This event is to inspire African American excellence, particularly African American Students that don’t get the recognition for their achievements. This event also helps break the stereotypes people have for African American students. You can be a scholar or an athlete and still be great,” Harley said.
Several different ORH teachers and students were involved in organizing the event. Harley discloses how student involvement played a big role in putting this event together, apart from the adults.
“My role was to work with schools, teachers and counselors in coordinating this whole event. However, this was student driven. The students here at ORH, particularly the Black Student Union (BSU), were pivotal in helping us develop what kind of food they were going to have and making the workshops,” Harley said.
The workshops ranged from college encouragement to learning about African American roots. President of the BVH BSU and senior Benitel Kabongo addresses what she took away from these opportunities.
“The workshops are good to attend because you can figure out more about something that you are interested in. The one I went to was: ‘Why join a black fraternity or sorority,’ and it was really something that I am interested in, especially when I go to college. It was nice learning more about the requirements and the history behind black fraternities and sororities,” Kabongo said.

Kabongo also mentions that the conference is not only important for African American students. It can also be helpful for students that are not familiar with the culture.

“This event is important not just for African Americans, but for others to get involved in more activities so they can explore and understand what is happening in the black community,” Kabongo said. “It allows people who don’t know about black history to learn more about what goes on in the world around them.”

Rise conference attendees ranged from children to adults. President of the ORH BSU and senior, Ashley Lanier, was granted the opportunity to speak in front of SUHSD. She also taught two different workshops: multi racial identity and transitions from middle school to highschool.

“When I looked into the audience I was so nervous because I saw adults. However, I realized that everyone is here to learn,” Lanier said. “No matter the age, everyone was a student. They all came here to learn something and I think it is really amazing that they were here to listen.”

Even with the good turnout of the Rise Student Conference, the behind the scenes work was significant. It took months for the event coordinators to plan the layout of the conference and what was going to be discussed at this event.
“The planning all started back in Oct. of 2022. Although we did come across some difficulties since we all had different ideas, in the end we all just wanted to have a successful event. We came together and brought our ideas together,” Harley said.
Coming together and getting involved in the community is a way for students to understand what goes on in the world around them. This is why Lanier encourages everyone to get involved in their communities.
“A lot of people want to leave a mark in the world. Some people want to be famous; some just want to be around. Getting involved in your community is a great way to start knowing [more] about your culture. It really is a learning curve, but you have to start somewhere,” Lanier said.

There were smiles amongst vendors, businesses, and attendees at the event. While various workshops and vendors were present, they were all present for a united cause.
“It’s all about rising above your circumstances and not accepting any of the stereotypes that people may bring out. Standing up for what you believe in, strive for greatness, and embracing your history and culture,” Harley said. “Understanding yourself it is pivotal in your own growth and development. This event is about spreading awareness, unity, resilience, power and achievement.”