AP African American Studies class coming to BVH

Nico Gatten

BVH Ethnic Studies, Black Student Union (BSU) advisor and boys’ basketball Head Coach Don Dumas discusses African-American voting history with his fifth period AP class.

A new Advanced Placement (AP) African American Studies class will be added to the 2024-2025 Bonita Vista High (BVH) student course selection. The new course focuses on African American history and its various impacts on society. Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) Executive Director of Curriculum and Instruction Maria Lizarraga shares her insight as to why this class will be offered.

“The AP African American course explores the richness and depth of African American history and its culture. It offers students extraordinary stories, artwork, documents and views of history that allow our students to engage in a meaningful way,” Lizarraga said.

Lizarraga believes this class will empower students to actively engage in a meaningful educational experience. BVH principal Lee Romero shares similar perspectives as to why this new class will be a beneficial addition to students’ education.

“[The BVH administration] wants to provide students with ample opportunities to learn and experience a wide range of curriculum to foster new thinking through different points of view,” Romero said.

BVH is the first school in SUHSD to offer an AP African American Studies course. Discussions about adding the new class began in March of 2023. Lizarraga explains how the process began.

“The [SUHSD] district was approached by the College Board to see if there was interest in participating in an AP African American Studies pilot. We reached out to the high schools to see who was interested in participating,” Lizarraga said.

Shortly thereafter, several schools were selected to participate including BVH. Romero was excited to be informed of the new opportunity to have this class implemented.

“The Curriculum and Instruction Department informed us that the office of AP decided to extend an invitation to offer AP African American Studies to any school wanting to offer the course,” Romero said.

After receiving the news, Romero contacted BVH Ethnic Studies and AP U.S. History teacher Don Dumas to inform him of the new class option. Dumas eagerly asked for this opportunity to teach the course in the 2023-24 school year and Romero proceeded to move forward with the plan.

“Dumas is excited to spearhead the introduction of this course to BVH students. I have no doubts that he will be able to gain enough excitement to get students to sign up for the course,” Romero said. “We both believe that it would be a great class to add for our school.”

Dumas has been advertising the new course selection to his current students in order for them to take advantage and choose the class in the next upcoming school year. He shares how significant this new class is for him  and why it is an important opportunity for him and other students.

“It’s something that I’ve always valued. It’s something that’s always been missing from the traditional curriculums. I’m excited to be able to teach it and to give it its full focus and to center these experiences,” Dumas said.

The new course will emphasize African American culture, arts, literature, history and much more. Through the structure of the course material students will gain a deeper understanding of the experiences and origins of African American history.

“African American history and contemporary issues are important for all of us; our entire country. Of course, here in South San Diego, we’re not exempt from Black History and experiences often,” Dumas said. “But it can also teach us how resilient and hopeful we can remain and how we ultimately can learn to love each other and build a better future.”

The BVH school library does not contain the textbooks that are needed for the class curriculum. Thus, SUHSD will provide the materials needed for solely the first year. However, this leaves Dumas to search for a long-term solution.

“We’re not going to have a whole lot of resources on deck. So I have to scramble [and] reach out to community members to see if we can get some things donated. There are some community members and some businesses that are willing to make some donations,” Dumas said.

Another challenge at hand for Dumas is ensuring people are aware that students of any racial and cultural background are free to take this class. Although the addition to this course may have some challenges, Lizzarraga is ready and thrilled to share this great opportunity to students.

“Our district has a great opportunity to share with our school community. This course whose framework focuses on essential shared events, experiences and individuals crucial to study of African American history and culture. It is part of our history,” Lizarraga said.