Student arrested for one of two school shooting threats

Individual behind original threat remains unknown as investigation continues

Madison Geering, News Editor

In light of the two recent social media threats of a shooting at Bonita Vista High School (BVH), there has been much tension and speculation awaiting further reassurance for the students and their families. Yesterday, on April 9, BVH principal Roman Del Rosario, Ed. D., sent an email out to all parents, with an attached update and official press release from the Chula Vista Police Department (CVPD) who have been working closely with BVH to investigate the threats.

Earlier, during the school day of April 9, a 16-year-old male BVH student was arrested for the second of the two threats. The CVPD will not be releasing the identity of this student.

The CVPD report stated that “the juvenile told police that he had seen the first threat online and decided to “join-in” to further scare people. He said he thought it would be funny.”

The student’s threat posted on social media platform Instagram, left him in violation of Penal Code § 422: a criminal threat. The student is expected to be released to his parents before continuing in this process.

As for the author of the original school shooting threat, they have not yet been identified and are still under investigation, although their threat has been evaluated as “unsubstantiated” by the CVPD.

Del Rosario assures students and their families that BVH administration is continuing their investigation of this threat with the CVPD and that the CVPD has dedicated “significant resources” to the investigation, as phrased in an email to parents and students on April 8.

As the investigation continues, Del Rosario and the CVPD remind families that “The Chula Vista Police Department takes any threat made against a school very seriously.  The public is encouraged to report any additional information related to this investigation by submitting tips to P3TIPS or by calling San Diego County Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477.”