Ready to read

Vattuone departs from BVH after several years of teaching
BVH English 11 teacher, Gina Vattuone grades student papers and prepares for her upcoming period during lunch. Vattuone completes her last school year at BVH before becoming new head librarian at Mar Vista Academy Middle School.
Destiny Avila Ramirez

After years of teaching, educators find the courage to pursue lifelong passions they have developed over the years. Eleventh grade English teacher Gina Vattuone has taught at BVH for over six years, and is now departing from her position to become a head librarian at Mar Vista Academy Middle School. Vattuone explains what made her consider becoming a librarian.

“It has always seemed appealing, but as an adult, realizing how radical librarians are with the trend of book banning in the U.S and having public employees who maintain and support the free expression of ideas is increasingly more important. More abstractly, I thought about how librarians are super cool, but thinking of myself as a teacher for the last 23 years, it’s a fairly new shift,” Vattuone said. 

Although Vattuone has spent a majority of her life teaching, she thoroughly expresses how much she loves to read. She explains her goals to provide students the same opportunity to fall in love with reading and seek comfort within a library the same way she did.

“I love the idea of this public good. Libraries to me are about reading books, but they are also a public space. You can just go to a public library and sit and I think that it is particularly important for adolescents. Teenagers can walk around the mall and get dirty looks, but if they are at the library, it is a safe and welcoming space for all people,” Vattuone said.

Vattuone further mentions how she recently applied and got accepted to San Jose State University Master of Library Science to earn her library credential—which will allow her to be a school librarian. With this, she can also work as a public librarian at a university. 

“I have never taught middle school, except for my student teaching experience. I’m excited to work with minds that are maybe a little bit more valuable. Perhaps in the future, when I finish my 30 years of teaching in the district, I might pursue other librarian positions,” Vattuone said.

I am extremely happy for her to be taking on this librarian transition because she loves to read, she has an amazing memory and a wonderful brain for literature and novels and I couldn’t think of a better position for her.

— BVH AVID teacher and coordinator Jessica Vargas

One of Vattuone’s good friends and colleagues, BVH Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) teacher and coordinator Jessica Vargas, worked with her for over 20 years. Throughout their time at BVH, they have developed a close bond both on and off campus, which will lead to  a shift for the both of them. However, Vargas is excited for this new transition as she describes how Vattuone exhibits the qualities of a great librarian.

“Vattuone was one of the teachers that encouraged me to apply to a position at BVH so I recently joked with her that she’s leaving after she told me to come to this wonderful school. I am extremely happy for her to be taking on this librarian transition because she loves to read, she has an amazing memory and a wonderful brain for literature and novels and I couldn’t think of a better position for her,” Vargas said.

Vargas also reflects on the fond memories she has made while working with Vattuone and the similar ideals they shared. Vargas states how she will miss seeing her presence on campus and the relationship they have developed.

“The best way I could describe our relationship is like being siblings, when you grow older and you say to your sibling ‘Do you remember the craziness or the fun that was growing up together?’ and the other sibling is like ‘Yes I remember that!’, That is how I can explain teaching with Vattuone,” Vargas said. “I can call her when there are successes and she is so wonderful and understanding or I can call her when I’m frustrated and we can commiserate and problem solve together.”

Similarly, English Language Development (ELD) 1-2, Theory of Knowledge (TOK) and IB Literature Higher Level 1 teacher Jason Good first met Vattuone when she was fulfilling a teacher assistant position at BVH where she helped write assessment materials nine years ago. Good states how he appreciated Vattuone’s aid on campus and admires her work ethic. 

“I see her as a mentor because she has so much experience in school leadership, so I would ask her a lot of questions about how to help the department and things like that,” Good said. “From her, I have learned about different resources. She’s really in tune with professional education, so she has knowledge about different people who write pedagogy and curriculum.”

Good and Vargas both believe that Vattuone is an active presence at faculty meetings which is something they will both miss. These qualities are something the BVH faculty will continue to commemorate her for, as she loves to further and develop students’ education.

“Vattuone thinks about things professionally very well. She understands the career and the science behind teaching and she also is not afraid to share her opinions and ideas. She is pretty outspoken in our meetings,” Good said.

This year, five faculty members have announced their departing from BVH due to new transitional opportunities for their careers. Vattuone emphasizes how even though these announcements may seem emotional, it is important to remember to remain supportive for these staff members.

“I hope if there are any students that feel sad about any teachers that are leaving that they also see it as an example of how you can still make changes later in your life, and you can look for new opportunities. It doesn’t mean you have to leave or wait to try something new and different, I think it’s important to keep challenging yourself,” Vattuone said.