Barons fall short to Olympian High in a double-overtime football game

Mathias Medel, Staff Writer

Deafening roars from onlooking parents, staff members and students rang throughout Friday night’s varsity football matchup between the Bonita Vista High (BVH) Barons and Olympian High Eagles. After double-overtime, BVH was unable to salvage the victory, falling short with a score of 39-42, and extending their losing streak to four games.

BVH got off to a fast start due to senior and running back Gabriel Burke (3), who immediately found the endzone just seconds into the game. Followed by a pass on a slant route by senior and quarterback Chris Kane (10), senior wide receiver and safety Josh Buchanon (4) was able to dodge defenders and take the ball through the pylons for a 51-yard score.

Another 76-yard touchdown catch by senior wide receiver Ronald Vann extended the lead for the Barons in the first quarter.

BVH remained consistent in the second quarter, adding two more touchdowns, and allowing a low 10 points for the Eagles. Going into halftime, BVH held a 22 point lead, with their defense jogging to the locker room with two fumble recoveries and a sack under their belt.

Olympian High turned things around the second half, capitalizing off of three interceptions and one fumble. Olympian’s kicker took the game into overtime with a 34-yard field goal one minute before the end of the fourth. Despite BVH’s drive that landed them on the 30-yard line, their long field goal attempt was blocked as the clock hit zero, inevitably taking the game into overtime.

Immediately scoring seven points, the Eagles put the pressure on BVH to respond with one of their own touchdowns. BVH utilized a play introduced by the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII called the “Philly Special” to score a touchdown on an all-or-nothing fourth down, extending the game to another quarter.

Heading into double-overtime, the Barons were set to receive the ball from the 25-yard line, needing a score to win the game. As senior and tight-end Egor Cleary ran up the middle for an 11-yard gain, he stretched over the goal line before losing the football, ultimately robbed of his touchdown. Hands flew in the air as the referees called a fumble on the play, disagreement from BVH players, coaches, and supporters.

Taking advantage of the call, Olympian High’s offense trotted onto their field, only to be stopped by BVH’s defense. Needing one more stop, the Barons fell short as Olympian converted a field goal converted to claim victory over their conference opponents.

Helmets and gloves flew on the field, showing BVH’s frustration as they heard the blaring cheers of opposing fans. Now in last place of the Metro-Mesa Football League, the Barons are to face Mater Dei High School in their final week of the regular season, in need of a win to advance to playoffs.