BVH roller hockey gliding through successful season

Efren Mendieta, Jaylen Gladney

Lights illuminated the Castle Park High (CPH) rink as families gathered around to support their children’s roller hockey games. Bonita Vista High School (BVH) and Eastlake High School (EHS) players hurtled themselves around the rink as onlookers cheered for every goal. The BVH roller hockey team was hopeful when they went head-to-head against their rivals. On Dec. 17, Jan. 16 and Feb. 4, the BVH roller hockey team defeated their EHS rivals with scores of 9-8, 11-5 and 11-7 for the first time in years.

According to forward and sophomore Max Anderson (8), the beginning of the season for BVH’s roller hockey team was filled with narrow victories, but the team worked past this early season rust. The Dec. 17 game against EHS ended 9-8 in favor of the Barons and was a close game that lifted the Barons’ confidence for the rest of the season. Anderson further proclaims that the confidence they gained from their first encounter with EHS carried over in an 11-5 game against EHS on Jan. 16.

“When it came to facing [EHS], we knew that the games against them [were going to be] extremely important not only because they are BVH’s rival school, but because of their record of being a hard team to beat. So after we beat them both times this season [so far], we were extremely proud of ourselves as it was a hard-earned win,” co-captain, goalie and senior Faith Sunga (1) said.

According to co-captain, forward and sophomore Diego Nunes (14), when BVH faced EHS for the first time this season they were ready to put their full efforts in the rink since roller hockey coach Keith Quigley has rivaled EHS for over 22 years. The players are well aware of the intensity in these games but keep their work ethic which is built upon Quigley’s ‘Baron Way’ philosophy.

“The main thing [Quigley] tells us is to always hustle. He wants us to get scrappy even if we don’t have the best technique, we can put [our] best effort and make something happen. He always preaches what we call the ‘Baron way’ which is to play with class and respect,” Nunes said.

Sunga believes that a major aspect of their victories against EHS is the lack of fear against rival opponents. Both Nunes and Sunga claim that this mentality allows them to better concentrate on their performance. Nunes ensures that BVH can improve its effectiveness as a unit via their communication, relentless behavior all over the rink and their daily practice to build team chemistry. 

“I think we had a lot better passing and more depth. [EHS] has two guys that try to do it all by themselves. But I feel like we have a solid two lines where everyone works as a team. There’s more of a team dynamic rather than individuals trying to do it all by themselves,” Anderson said.

The reaction from the team after the Dec. 17 game against EHS was an overwhelming wave of excitement considering years had gone by without victory for the Barons against this team. This was a turning point in the season for BVH with Nunes proudly emphasizing the team put their heart and souls into those performances.

“We are having a really strong season. One of our best in years. The team has really been getting after it lately. Our goal every season is to make the playoffs and we plan on receiving a playoff spot this season,” Quigley said. 

These victories were also an important component of the team’s newfound confidence as the season began to enter its later stages. The games proved to be challenging but Nunes saw their comeback as proper reassurance that they can beat their rivals. This confidence has shown among their players as Anderson leads the league in goal scoring with 69 in his first season.

“Ever since then I’ve been averaging more goals. We have been scoring a lot more and getting scored on less. We’re not just focused on winning. We’re trying to win and give a really good performance so it definitely raised our standards,” Anderson said.

The wins against EHS and the subsequent confidence that’s struck the team has made them hopeful of winning the league and ultimately making it far in the playoffs. Sunga admires the effective performances that BVH has had this season though she recognizes the pressure to perform well amid close games.

“After initially beating [EHS], I felt extreme happiness. Being a second-year player, I understood how great it was that we finally beat the team that constantly took the victory last year. This season, it truly felt like all our hard work and hours of dedication paid off,” Sunga said.