The process BVH uses when hiring a head coach

Mathias Medel

BVH Boys varsity volleyball coach Luis Contreras instructing his squad at practice on Mar. 12. Contreras, who coached both the BVH Girls freshman and Boys junior varsity volleyball for the past two years, was given the position of head coach for the Boys varsity volleyball at the start of 2020.

Adam Benchekroun, staff writer

When coaching positions are vacated at Bonita Vista High (BVH), the process behind the hiring of a new coach is one that is not widely known. This process has many steps that are put in place to assure that an effective and qualified head coach is appointed.

The procedure is overseen by Athletic Director Tyler Arciaga, Principal Roman Del Rosario, Ed.D., and Assistant Principal of Student Activities Christopher Alvarez. It begins with a recent vacancy of a head coaching position

“There’s guidance that we get from our district about making the position available to internal applicants for a set number of days before we make it available to people outside of our school and district. The first thing we do is send out an email to staff and let them know that we have a vacancy,” Del Rosario said. 

The reason for the primary on-site notice of vacancy is because of the collective bargaining agreement with the Teachers’ Union. However, this does not guarantee on-site applicants the just because they applied for the position, if they are not deemed a good fit for the position after their guaranteed interview, the job post will be extended to those outside of BVH. 

“If there’s nobody on site that applies, then you post outside to the district and also what’s called EDJOIN, which is the district’s official place where they post job openings,” Arciaga said. “At that point it goes off-site and it also gets circulated to the district where other district employees can apply as well.”

Arciaga expresses that a head coach that works on-campus is more beneficial for the student-athletes and the BVH community as a whole.

“Unfortunately, we’ve seen the rate of on-campus coaches drop. In the district, about 84-85 percent of our coaches are off-campus and there’s great off-campus coaches, but you do need some coaches on-campus because I think it helps build continuity and cohesiveness, not only between the team but also between the faculty and staff,” Arciaga said. 

If it is deemed necessary, Del Rosario and company will hold a panel of different stakeholders, like parents, to interview potential candidates. Once the school decides on the new head coach, they are then brought in and are shown the financial ropes. Alvarez shows coaches how much money they have in their trust that is a part of the Associated Student Body’s (ASB) general account.

“If the team wants to fundraise on top of what we give them, which isn’t a lot, then that’s what gets put into their trust,” Alvarez said. “When they get hired we tell them what to do. We give them a snapshot of what they have in the account or what they have for athletic awards and equipment. After that, Mr. Arciaga guides them through the procedures and how to fundraise.”

The hiring of a new head coach is a process that directly affects student-athletes and the characteristics of a good head coach transcend the sport itself.

“Besides the experience that they may have, one thing that is important to me is that our student-athletes are having fun but also that when they participate in athletics, they come out better people. I think that’s the purpose of athletics in high school, to teach character, integrity and hard work,” Del Rosario said.