Learning from home

A look at SUHSD’s launch into distance learning

Photo provided by SUHSD website

On April 20, 2020, SUHSD district members announced the schedule students will be following for distance learning. The infographic’s purposed was to inform students, teachers, and parents about the platforms being used and when the schedule was to be put into effect.

Bonita Vista High (BVH) students were left with great uncertainty as the Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) began spring break one week early due to the rapid spread of COVID-19 throughout the United States. SUHSD’s plan to start school as scheduled on April 6 was quickly disrupted by California Governor Gavin Newsom, who officially declared all schools to close until the end of the school year as confirmed cases of the virus exponentially grew within the state. As a result, SUHSD launched distance learning on April 20, where the typical learning environment for students shifted from a traditional classroom to their homes. 

In addition to a new learning environment, SUHSD created a new schedule to arrange assignments and classwork, including 30 minutes of virtual communication time with teachers. Monday is dedicated for teachers to distribute assignments for the week, while Tuesday through Friday is dedicated for 30 minutes of instruction time with certain classes. 

Before the start of distance learning, teachers received a two week training period in which they were given access to online training modules and also developed their online learning plans. During those two weeks, SUHSD also conducted surveys to provide aid for students who lacked devices or internet to work from, looking to see who would need alternative methods of learning that don’t need technology. 

“[BVH] is preparing student packets for those without sufficient resources,” BVH Principal Roman Del Rosario, Ed. D, said. “We’re going to make arrangements for those assignments either to be delivered or picked up at school.”

According to Del Rosario, teachers were encouraged to use their preferred platform to conduct instruction, yet issues with some video platforms arose. Zoom Video Communications, an online chat platform, became one of the main lines of communication for SUHSD, but it was quickly discarded due to security risks. Instead, SUHSD encouraged the use of Microsoft Teams and Google Classroom, which both have trusted security.

“[SUHSD] received Microsoft Teams as part of our Microsoft 360 district license, and we have an account with Google,” Del Rosario said. “By using these platforms, we minimize the risk of hacking or inappropriate material being shared.”

While the transition to distance learning was difficult for some, many teachers already had experience utilizing these applications as learning platforms for their students. For example, International Baccalaureate (IB) Coordinator and IB Math teacher Jared Phelps utilizes Jupiter Grades as his main line of communication. However, Phelps conducts his lessons through Youtube, where he creates videos for direct instruction, attaching PDF assignments for his students to complete. 

“I don’t think [transitioning] has been particularly hard at all. The hardest part of all of this has been balancing the different types of work we need to do: teaching, caring for our families, caring for mental health and keeping our worlds clean and disinfected,” Phelps said. 

Phelps also provides comfort for his students, especially seniors, whose high school experience was cut short due to the virus. According to Phelps, communication is key for seniors and students in general, as it helps them cope with the lack of interaction students experience in quarantine. Along with communication, Phelps followed the district’s guideline to not lower any student’s grades for the rest of the school year in order to be flexible for those who have issues with technology and do not have the resources needed for distance learning yet. 

“Isolation is likely heightening the feelings of frustration [for seniors] over losing some of these iconic high school experiences,” Phelps said. “I’m trying to provide flexibility to seniors in terms of what and how they learn. If some of my seniors want to study something a little different than what was planned, online learning gives me the opportunity to allow them a chance to learn things that are better suited to their future needs.”

Despite the comfort that comes with working from home, distance learning strips many essential aspects of the traditional learning environment. Senior Richzeska Fandino mentioned that distance learning creates a divergence between teachers and students, ultimately hurting learning for students. 

“[Teachers] are no longer able to see each other face to face every day like before, so it can definitely take a toll on how students are supported, [since] we know that teachers educate through so many ways be it academically, through simply giving advice or counseling and being a reliable support network for students that need it,” Fandino said. 

Disregarding the lack of interaction between teachers and students, Fandino believes distance learning provides many unique benefits.

“Learning online still allows us to discuss the many things we would normally talk about within the classroom setting, and we get to see how technology truly brings us all together,” Fandino said. 

Regardless of the complications that have come with distance learning, Del Rosario stated his appreciation for the hard work and flexibility of BVH staff, teachers and students.

“The stories I’m hearing from teachers and from counselors is that students are engaged, and I think it’s a testament to the type of students we have,” Del Rosario said. “The staff and the students understand that [distance learning] requires some flexibility, but we’re doing this to save lives.”