SUHSD reimplements revised graduation plan for class of 2021

From the total number of high school grades issued in the first semester of the 2020-2021 school year across the district, 45.2% were A’s, 18.9% were B’s, 14.2% were C’s, 8.5% were D’s, 5.7% were F’s and 6.9% were marked as ‘No Credit due to Pandemic’.

Provided by SUHSD Assistant Superintendant Ana Maria Alvarez, Ed. D.

Isaac Lozano, Features Editor

Due to the unique challenges posed by the pandemic, Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) is lowering traditional graduation credit requirements from 44 credits to 22 minimum credits for the class of 2021 and Grade 13 students who are repeating 12th grade. Students will not be allowed to drop any of the courses within their current schedule.

The revised plan, a statewide program known as the California Graduation Plan, was also implemented for the Class of 2020. While it will not apply to students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), students enrolled in Learning Centers, Palomar and Independent Studies are still expected to meet the new requirements. 

In an email sent on Jan. 29, SUHSD Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning Ana Maria Alvarez, Ed.D., explained that every year some students must take additional courses during the second semester of their senior year to make up classes they have not passed or previously taken. To address the educational needs of students, the district created a Graduation Committee composed of teachers, counselors and district officials. 

After reviewing multiple options to support seniors in distance learning, including credit recovery and summer school programs, the committee decided instead to revise graduation requirements. 

“The unique circumstances of this pandemic and subsequent implementation of a distance learning program […] enhanced some of the disparities faced by our students. In response to this situation and following the guidance from the California Department of Education (CDE) to ensure that [the] district provide as many safeguards as possible to support students during this unique situation, we re-evaluated our graduation requirements,” Alvarez said in the email. 

Additionally, the plan “will not negatively impact students who are already accepted to colleges and universities in the fall 2021 semester,” according to the email.

BVH counselor Lorena Mata says the decision was expected as students continue school in a remote learning model, which has posed varying academic, mental and financial challenges for students. 

“I don’t think the district expected us to be at home for this long,” Mata said. “Everybody’s situation has been different. So [SUHSD] felt that this [plan] would be one of the best ways to help [students.]”

BVH Principal Roman Del Rosario, Ed.D., believes the new plan will allow students to “move forward” with their lives after graduation amid growing educational disparities in distance learning. An analysis of district-wide grades revealed that a disproportionate number of students were receiving “D” and “F” grades.

“[That] was at the core of why that decision was made: that students deserve a lifeline [to] allow them to move forward with their goals during this time.”

— BVH Principal Roman Del Rosario, Ed.D.

“It’s just the stories that we hear time and time again of students who [are] struggling because of the pandemic and the challenges of distance learning. [That] was at the core of why that decision was made: that students deserve a lifeline [to] allow them to move forward with their goals during this time,” Del Rosario said. 

Transcripts must still demonstrate completion of the University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU) A-G requirements for entrance to a UC or CSU campus. Students must stay enrolled through June 4, 2021, in order to qualify for the revised graduation plan. Additionally, community service hours will no longer be required for graduation. 

“One of the lessons I want students to reflect on is the importance of self advocacy and taking ownership over their grades,” Del Rosario said. “I know teachers use Jupiter as a way of communicating progress in grades, [but] I lament that some students are surprised that they maybe didn’t pass a class. The reality is [that] many of those students were not very attached with monitoring [their] progress. If [students] think that something is being graded unfairly, or that they [deserve] a higher grade on a particular assignment, it’s a valuable skill to speak up [and] talk to your teacher to get feedback. That’s an important part in our journey into adulthood.”

This piece was updated on March 8, 2021.