The benefits of block schedule

Stephanie Liang, Arts & Culture Copy Editor

The word spread quickly around Bonita Vista High (BVH). The 2022-2023 school year would be the start of block schedule for the school. Although there are negatives and benefits to this new change, the majority of students dislike this decision, as it would mean staying in class for approximately two hours.

Even though classes will soon be two hours long, it will allow students to get the help they need by spending more quality time with their teachers. As the University of the People (UoPeople), a tuition-free online American university states, teachers will have fewer students to teach each day, which allows them to provide more individual help to each student

Spending more time with students allows teachers to “build closer bonds with students and get to know their individual learning needs more deeply.” Not only would this allow students’ academic performance and grades to improve, but it would also allow students to further take the time to understand the lessons and spend more time focusing on them. 

Furthermore, through block schedule, students will have less classes to focus on each day, giving them the opportunity to finish their work in class. Two hours is plenty of time for homework to be completed after the lesson, which allows students to have less homework to finish at home.

“Since students have less classes per day, it can translate into less homework per day. When students have less daily homework, they have more time to pursue their interests, hone their skills, and even reduce stress levels through relaxation methods,” UoPeople said.

By receiving less assignments, students have more time to  relax at home and work on their hobbies, play sports, hang out with friends, family and more. According to the National Education Association’s article, “Are Block Schedules the Stress-Buster Students Need?”, by staff writer Tim Walker, according to Denise Pope, a senior lecturer at the Stanford Graduate School of Education and co-founder of Challenge Success, “the entire education system has created pressure for students and staff. School is now all about the grades, the test, the homework and it’s a lot of jumping through hoops.” Through block schedule, these pressures can be alleviated. 

Not only does block schedule mean less homework, but more importantly, BVH classes will start later. Starting school at 8:30 a.m. will add to a beneficial combination that everyone is sure to be grateful for. Even though students will get out of school later, they have a chance to get more sleep and rest, which is important to mental and physical health.

“As a result of staying up late to complete their daily tasks, students lose precious hours of sleep,” PRSH Night Watch stated, referring to how students may have homework, extracurriculars, family priorities, and work responsibilities piled up on them.

Block schedule allows teachers to provide further guidance to students, lessen the amount of homework and stress for students and the increased amount of time for students and teachers to  sleep. Overall, even though block schedule can seem unpleasant, it has multiple benefits that would allow students to improve academically and mentally.