Traveling Trilingual

BVH language teacher goes from monolingual home, to teaching Spanish and French

Jechaenna Velazco

On Aug 2 in room 35, Spanish and French teacher Patrick Beaulieu plays his French 5/6 class a song. The students pay attention as the video begins to play.

The diversification of language around the world is evident amongst today’s society and at times being able to speak different languages is seen as an “advantage” even amongst the youth. French International Baccalaureate (IB), French Advanced Placement (AP), French 5/6 and Spanish 3/4 teacher Patrick Beaulieu is someone who experienced feeling like an outsider when he couldn’t speak as many languages as his peers. However, Beaulieu is now able to introduce students to  different levels of French and Spanish.

Beaulieu shared how he always had feelings of jealousy towards his peers in school who grew up learning Spanish as he himself only spoke one language. He adds that having an extra language to speak was not only seen as cool, but it was also a ‘boost.’ Being able to speak two or more dialects seemed to give the impression of talent. As Beaulieu grew older he took it upon himself to learn and eventually speak different dialects.

“I learned to speak Spanish in middle school. I’m from a monolingual family, and I learned to speak French in college,” Beaulieu said. 

Beaulieu attended higher education at the University of California San Diego where he discovered his passion for teaching and has been enjoying his career ever since. After college, Beaulieu went on to work in Mexico where his skills as a language teacher were immediately tested.

I’m always trying to break the students by saying you should travel, study somewhere else, do an exchange. Because of the expression in Spanish ‘El Quien habla dos idiomas vale por dos’ [The person that speaks two languages, their value is doubled].

— French International Baccalaureate (IB), French Advanced Placement (AP), French 5/6 and Spanish 3/4 teacher Patrick Beaulieu

“When I was teaching English in Mexico, I realized that it was fun. I really liked not only teaching English, but working with people,” Beaulieu said. “After I was there for three years, I came back to the United States to pursue a credential program. That’s when I knew my Spanish was good enough to become a bilingual teacher.”

Beaulieu began teaching as a world language teacher. With his extensive, experienced and well traveled career spanning over three different countries, he is able to connect with his students. This can be found with great difficulty as a world language teacher, because teaching in a different language takes rigorous work and practice to learn. 

“It was persistence and interest that led me to be successful and to like what I was doing,” Beaulieu said. “This is my 30th year teaching. In California it’s my 25th year. I’ve taught for five years [outside of the US], three in Mexico and two years in France.”

Through the years Beaulieu has been improving his craft as a teacher and gaining more expertise that allows him to be well versed in different cultures. Being a language teacher is not just about teaching the language but the culture. 

“[Beaulieu] spent a bit of time in Mexico, and is also a history teacher. All of these things combined make him a really good world languages teacher,” former colleague Marina Dillingham said. “He has a lot of experience in target culture, and knowledge from different subject areas. [Beaulieu] is really well suited for this subject.” 

Through his years of teaching and experience, Beaulieu has developed an intense dedication to his work and his students. His colleagues notice and admire Beaulieu’s dedication to teaching his students well. Dillingham, is a colleague of Beaulieu. Dillingham currently works at the Sweetwater Union High School District. Dillingham gives off her impression of Beaulieu, sharing her overall experiences with him. 

“I think he is very enthusiastic, [Beaulieu] really cares about the students and the subject. He is creative and is willing to try new things and take on new challenges,” Dillingham said. 

Not only do Beaulieu’s colleagues notice his passion for teaching, but his students notice as well. Senior Miles Tobbit is a student of Beaulieu’s IB French class. He acknowledges Beaulieu’s care for his students’ success.

“I love being in this class. It’s a welcoming environment. He’s always encouraging his students to participate, learn from mistakes, grow and expand their knowledge of French,” Tobitt said.

In particular, Tobitt enjoys Beaulieu’s unique style of teaching French and the energy he brings to the class about the material. As a result, Tobbit decided to take Beaulieu’s French class beginning in his freshman year.

“I enjoy his teaching style. It’s a lot of class participation, which is good for any language class. I like how much he not only allows the students to participate, but encourages it and helps them if they’re struggling,” Tobitt said.

Beaulieu strongly believes that learning multiple languages will be beneficial for his students. He believes languages are special.

“I’m trying to share this skill. I think languages are gifts and people who are multilingual have a richer experience. [We] see life from different perspectives. We understand the cultural viewpoints behind different issues,” Beaulieu said.

Learning a different language is a very enriching experience. As such, Beaulieu encourages his students to pursue opportunities in another language. 

“I’m always trying to break the students by saying you should travel, study somewhere else, do an exchange. Because of the expression in Spanish ‘El Quien habla dos idiomas vale por dos’

[The person that speaks two languages, their value is doubled],” Beaulieu said. “It’s an enriching experience speaking more than one language.”