One of 257 applicants

Mathematics teacher Nour Nona leaves BVH for a new job at SWC

Maddie Almodovar

Nour Nona explains an Integrated Math II concept to his attentive students. He answers a question that a student asked during independent work.

Discrete Mathematics and Integrated I teacher Nour Nona graduated from Bonita Vista High (BVH) in 2010 and returned to foster his community. Entering his tenth year as a mathematics teacher, Nona was given a job offer at Southwestern College (SWC) that required him to submit his resignation letter at BVH. 

Throughout his ten years at BVH, Nona had become involved with several of the school’s extracurricular activities, sports and clubs. As a result, he was able to create strong relationships with teachers. Math Department Chair and Associated Student Body (ASB) assistant Christina Ada was present for the board that first hired Nona.

“I knew he was going to be a great teacher [and] I knew he was gonna be good for the students as a student advocate. [Because of] his personality and [his position as a] coach, I knew he wouldn’t need help with classroom management. I was really excited to have him on board,” Ada said.

The recent chapter that opened for Nona was created by his recognizable hard work and dedication. Nona was one of 257 applicants for the position to be an Assistant Professor in Mathematics at SWC and was ultimately the one accepted.

“My doctorate is in educational leadership, I didn’t get it for no reason, so I do have my eyes on the high prize,” Nona said.

Nona carries his two master degrees and continues the process of receiving his Doctorate, starting his internship at SWC fall of 2018. The first class he taught was Math 121, Calculus for Science Majors. Now, he will be teaching Math 101 at SWC by himself. 

“When I started working at Southwestern as an intern teaching one class a semester, I fell in love with the job. It quickly became my new goal. It became what I want to do for the rest of my life,” Nona said. 

Expository Reading and Writing English teacher Carmen Ramirez has known Nona since his time as a junior at BVH. Aside from his “chill” personality following after him in his teaching career, Ramirez recalls that Nona has always been a “go-getter”.

“I know that he’s always wanted to work at a higher level, like a college. That’s why he’s going for his Ph.D,” Ramirez said. “A community college is his first step to that college level, so I’m thinking he wants to go back to state (SDSU) and be an alumni there.”

Despite his last day on August 12, Nona will continue to support the Barons at sporting events. He comments that he plans to help around during football and basketball season whenever he is available after getting in touch with several sports coaches. He also has high expectations of school pride and spirit, making its way back this upcoming fall despite his absence. 

“I talked to Coach Arciaga, he sent me their football schedule and everything to see where I can help out. I’ve talked to Coach Dumas about coming back for spring for basketball and Coach Peterson told me I was going to coach track for him. So I will be around in the athletic capacity,” Nona said.

Students have shared their overwhelming support towards Nona, giving their last goodbyes. ASB president and senior Jalieah Ruiz has known Nona since her freshman year taking Integrated Math I. Ruiz expresses how many others, including herself, view Nona’s departure.

“It’s unfortunate for us but for him it’s a great opportunity. I think when I say this, I’m not only speaking for myself but for everyone else. We are really proud and excited for him. But at the same time, as a student and as someone I consider him as one of my friends, it’s sad,” Ruiz said.

I would hope people would remember that I care about them. I don’t care who you are, what you’ve been through, how good or bad at math you are, what your grades are like. I loved every one of my students and even the students I didn’t have because there’s a lot of people I know at this school that were never my students.

— Nour Nona

BVH staff and students have strong beliefs of what Nona can accomplish with this new opportunity. He has shown his strengths of building connections with students and was actively involved on campus lending a helping hand wherever it was needed. 

“I have no [worries] about anything Mr. Nona does, because he’s that type of person who can do everything,” Ruiz said. “I’m hoping everything runs smoothly for him, the transitions, the students, I think the students will love him; there’s no way they won’t.”

Nona reflects on the relationships he built during his time at Bonita, such as students like Ruiz. Both Ramirez and Ada hope to continue staying in contact with him as he takes on a new chapter of his life.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity for him and his career, but I’m gonna miss him personally and professionally. He did a lot for our department,” Ada said. “He did a lot for the kids outside of the math classroom. I’m gonna miss his extra support on campus.”

Although Nona is moving across the street, his connection to BVH remains strong as he will be coming back to coach and remain in contact. 

“I would hope people would remember that I care about them. I don’t care who you are, what you’ve been through, how good or bad at math you are, what your grades are like. I loved every one of my students and even the students I didn’t have because there’s a lot of people I know at this school that were never my students,” Nona said.