SUHSD holds a Suicide Prevention Community Forum

Stephanie Lomeli

More stories from Stephanie Lomeli

Chat GPT
April 23, 2023

Uriel Lopez

The panel shares suicide prevention services and life saving resources available and to bring hope to all; The crowd applauds at the efforts made to prevent suicide. All hope for a better future at the 2022 Suicide Prevention Community Forum Olympian High School in Chula vista CA on Thursday, September. 1st, 2022.

On Thursday, Sept. 1, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m Olympian High is hosting a Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) event, honoring Suicide Prevention Awareness Month by hosting a Suicide Prevention Community Forum. 

The forum—beginning at 6:00 p.m.—includes a documentary “Living Through It”, which shares the experience of one of the SUHSD  community members. There will be an opportunity to learn of their suicide prevention work within the district and for community members to engage in conversation as well as ask questions. 

Although Bonita Vista High (BVH) does not have the chance to host the event, BVH Assistant Principal Esther Wise will be attending. This marks her second year attending this event, with this year, holding a leadership role. On Thursday’s event and who has a strong opinion on students’ mental health that will be participating in the panel.

“It’s an opportunity for us to talk about a topic that a lot of us have a hard time talking about, and also gain some knowledge so that we’re able to assist and inform our community in times of crisis or even anytime in conversation,” Wise said

Due to the seriousness of the topic, Wise encourages both students and the community to come and attend the forum as it will give an open space to talk about the importance of mental health.

“I look forward to assisting in any way I can because this is an important topic that we need to be there for each other,” Wise said. “This is an opportunity to build a relationship with each other of respect and trust where we’re all learning about this topic that could be uncomfortable for some.”

School Psychologist and Suicide Prevention & Wellness Coordinator Margaret A Sedor, Ph.D., NCSP, LEP, ABSNP joined SUHSD for this forum. This will be Sedor’s second year leading and coordinating the suicide prevention forum, as she holds a strong opinion on students’ mental health.

“Student voice is the most powerful thing we have to engage in any conversation that can help their classmates, their teammates, their peers, their friends, their family,” Sedor said.

When it came to organizing the event, Sedor took into consideration when carefully choosing the student faculty and staff administrators who closely work with students and help a variety of folks rather than just one .

“There’ll be a staff and a student and each circle with ten folks in that circle will have some English, some in Spanish, some for our GSA community, as well as for our Filipino language, folks. We do have someone from the San Diego County Suicide Prevention Council who will be there,” Sedor said.

It’s going to be a place where people will come away with really good feelings and weight off their shoulders. What I do know when it comes to suicide, there’s not any one word or thing that we can say or do that will prevent it, other than to be present and share space with folks and and just listen.

— Special assignment school psychologist Margaret Sedor

Alongside the volunteers will be licensed therapists who specialize in suicide prevention who are more than happy to help. There will also be an evidence based research group who specializes in suicide prevention analyzing and assisting the staff and students attending. 

“We have a company that actually created the only evidence based curriculum we have for you. It’s called scientist suicide. They’re going to be there the American Foundation of suicide prevention will be there.” Sedor said.

Sedor encourages everyone to come and support and bring awareness to suicide prevention and the forum will provide a safe space with licensed therapist to be able to assist whoever needs help, not just students but everyone.

“Everyone— students, parents, siblings, community members, our faith based leaders, mental health agencies, maybe adjoining districts—are all welcomed,” Sedor said.

Sedor assures that this event will be a safe environment for a rough topic to discuss, but being there to listen will make a big difference.

“It’s going to be a place where people will come away with really good feelings and weight off their shoulders. What I do know when it comes to suicide, there’s not any one word or thing that we can say or do that will prevent it, other than to be present and share space with folks and and just listen,” Sedor said.

Eastlake Middle School Counselor Jennifer Mojica was one of the licensed school counselors and attendee. She holds the responsibility of listening, providing a space for her middle school students and anyone who needs support. As one of the panelists she offered some words of support to anyone who is considering suicide.

“Recognizing and validating that we have so much more work that we need to do and that I’m honored to be a part of the work to help save lives,” Mojica said. “You’re not alone. Ask for help. There is help out there, there is always another way out as painful as it is. There are ways to deal with the pain.”

Updated September 8th, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. to correctly identify School Psychologist and Suicide Prevention & Wellness Coordinator Margaret A Sedor, Ph.D., NCSP, LEP, ABSNP.