Twenty-four hours ’til showtime

A look inside BVTV’s new daily upload schedule

Uriel Lopez

Daily BVTV broadcasts and Interviews are held in studio in room 202A. On Monday, September 12th 2022 BVTV interviewed Dr. Del Rosario on the left, in the center Mikial Hodges, and Vivian Schupp on the right.

Valerie Torres, Opinion Editor

Bonita Vista Television (BVTV) is the student-run news broadcast that delivers relevant and upcoming information to all students within the Bonita Vista High (BVH) community. As of the start of the 2022-2023 school year, the broadcast has transitioned into a new upload schedule, ranging from weekly to now daily uploads. This takes place every Monday through Thursday, of students’ second class period of the day.  

The broadcast highlights various clubs, upcoming sporting events and includes student and staff features at BVH. With these daily uploads, the staff holds the intention of creating new segments and different topics for each day. 

“On Monday’s, it is a normal news report. On Tuesday’s it is a Barons Variety show that I know everyone loves and craves. Wednesday’s are a normal day and Thursday’s are our sports broadcasts. Every once in a while we [do] a Friday special,” Main Editor and senior Naomy Preciado said. 

The sudden shift of these uploads was motivated by BVH Principal Ed.D Roman Del Rosario. Multimedia teacher and advisor of BVTV Hugo Martinez describes the goals he hopes to pursue in this year’s broadcast with a daily theme each day to set an image for those to experience the opportunities that come with being a baron. 

“After many years of working with [Del Rosario] and listening to his narrative of what Bonita looks like, anyone at Bonita has heard him say that Bonita has a soul, has a spirit [and] has a body,” Martinez said. “He breaks this down on academic mindset and breaks us in different areas which are sports, academics and ASB.”

Although primarily produced in periods three and four, BVTV is rooted by the T.V. and Film class taught by Martinez, which allows students to have a very unique experience among the program. The T.V. and Film class also provides various hands-on projects, including student-produced movies. 

“We have a pathway. First [is] introduction to multimedia. Then, the year after that we have T.V. and Film production, [where] we do the BVTV broadcast because it is a hands-on project. It is not limited to BVTV. You can livestream,” Martinez said.

Through these broadcasts, the staff hopes to focus on different groups on campus that students may or may not have had the opportunity to learn about. BVTV allows a platform for these groups to gain exposure outside and within the  BVH community because of  the public website.

On August 19, their broadcast followed up after Club fair with numerous clips of club leaders to interested audience members.

We are going to put it together for them and train them, so our program is expanding more and it is not limited to Bonita. [It is] going district wide so we are very proud because it is all about the kids.

— Multimedia teacher and advisor of BVTV Hugo Martinez

“At the end of the day, we want to be that one place where people can learn about our school and we can celebrate the different groups that work very hard and indelibly [on] their own, and sometimes not everyone knows about them,” Martinez said. “That’s my personal goal. To be [a] place [that] facilitates service to our community in general,”

The 24-hour run-around schedule poses a challenge for staff members. Journalists and reporters on staff spend one day creating an idea of who and what they want to interview about. Then, they film and edit their own content. After finishing edits, they upload the videos  to their team Google drive, where a set of main editors put the broadcast together and upload it to the BVTV Wix Webpage. 

“It is a lot depending on the day because some days, we might be recording on the spot and I might have to record late at night with it or sometimes I do it during class. If we are a week ahead, it’s kind of inbetween everything’s alright kind of days and chaotic type of days,” Preciado said.

With students behind the scenes creating their own concepts and running the production on a 24-hour basis, Martinez emphasizes the hard work and recognition the staff deserves as they manage their personal schedules, academics and BVTV. 

“It is, from start to finish, run by students. They are the ones who are making this amazing,” Martinez said. 

Martinez describes his own experience with the BVTV community. After working at BVH for five years as an advisor for Multimedia and T.V. and Film, describes the challenges and responsibilities his own role entails. 

“My involvement as an advisor is kind of interesting. In the real world, I am kind of  the executive producer because I have to train them on what to do. After I train them, especially the main roles like a producer [or] director. My main role after that is to provide support,” Martinez said.

With Martinez as a technological advisor, students are the ones creating segments and what the planning schedule is. If there is not a special segment for Friday, time is spent on creating scripts and assigning them to main anchors. Head Script writer of period three and junior Emily Zepeda is someone who creates the scripts for the broadcasts and is heavily involved in the off-screen planning.

Daily BVTV broadcasts take a lot of work to complete BVTV uses industrty standard equipment. On September 12th BVTV interviewed Dr. Del Rosairo sitting by himself, on the left Mikial Hodges and on the right Vivian Schupp.Uriel Lopez

“Since we know what days our broadcasts are on, we know what to plan for and try to share ideas on that specific day. Then, after we share ideas of what we want the episode to be like; I start writing it down and [see]  people if people want me to change anything. Then after that we add it to a prompter and have them record,” Zepeda said. 

BVH has been asked by the district to help other schools in the Sweetwater Union High School  District to advance their own multimedia. Martinez has recently been working with the district’s Grants and Communications department through Career Technical Education to create a model and mobile custom cart to purchase supplies and distribute to other schools to be able to livestream events.

“We are going to put it together for them and train them, so our program is expanding more and it is not limited to Bonita. [It is] going district wide so we are very proud because it is all about the kids,” Martinez said.

Other than BVTV, Martinez advises the new club Digital Media Club. which focuses on allowing students to have hands-on experience in the world of multimedia. They will teach  students new things that are not offered at BVH such as live streaming, editing and how to produce short films and animations. 

“This is new territory, which has never been done as far as I know. For example, we are the only school that I am aware of from our district that has an advanced program when it comes to live streaming. For example, a multi camera production, [which is] run completely by students,” Martinez said.