The music to our ears

BVH Mariachi teacher follows his dreams by teaching and performing worldwide

Guadalupe+Gonzalez+begins+the+class+warmup+as+he+plays+the+Guitarron+%28a+large+bass+guitar%29.+Each+student+is+incorporating+their+own+part+into+the+symphony+that+is+being+created.+

Cielo Muniz Sigala

Guadalupe Gonzalez begins the class warmup as he plays the Guitarron (a large bass guitar). Each student is incorporating their own part into the symphony that is being created.

In the hallways at Bonita Vista High (BVH), various instruments can be heard emanating from room 908. Mariachi students start their mornings with the sound of music with the instructions by Advanced Mariachi teacher Guadalupe Gonzalez. Gonzalez dedicates his time doing what he loves; teaching and performing mariachi professionally.

Gonzalez is also a member of the band called Mariachi Sol De Mexico de Jose Hernandez. According to Gonzalez, he plays the trumpet professionally but also plays a variety of other instruments such as the “violin, cello, piano, bass, guitar, flute [and] vocals.” 

Using his talent to play a variety of instruments has allowed him to teach classes at both BVH and Montgomery High School (MH). Gonzalez expressed that his love for playing music started from the age of six and used his musical knowledge to teach his classes.

“I’m teaching two and a half classes at BVH. One is the music club, where the students can come and practice their instruments,” Gonzalez said. “I am teaching three classes [at MH]. 4th period music advanced, 5th period intermediate music [and] 6th period beginners music.”

Gonzalez has been a part of BVH’s staff for the past nine years and uses his past musical experience in his classrooms when teaching. His former Advanced Mariachi student and sophomore Aislynn Melesio has known Gonzalez for two years now and enjoyed his teaching.

“Since he [knows how to play a variety of] instruments, he knows [when we make mistakes and how to develop from it],” Melesio said.

Many students look up to Gonzalez and take his advice when it comes to music and trust his teaching abilities since he plays professionally. He has been playing music for 55 years now and first played publicly in 1970. 

“I have been doing this for several years and I have a system to follow [after all these years when it comes to managing my time],” Gonzalez said.

He has been to many places around the world to share his love for music to audiences. He takes time off of school to play professionally while balancing in time to teach his students.

“I am always traveling. Many places around the world such as the USA, UK, Russia, Spain and many more. It’s often two or three times a month, for two whole weeks [depending on] the country,” Gonzalez said.

Recently he has traveled to El Paso Texas, Guadalajra Mexico and Tecalitlan with Mariachi Sol De Mexico. For upcoming events he will be performing at the Edith Marquez Concert on Oct. 29 in Tijuana and he will be attending the Grammys in Las Vegas. As BVH Advanced Mariachi student and junior Arturo Herrera likes to put it, he acknowledges how often Gonzalez often plays at restaurants and parties. 

“I have helped him perform and seen him play at La Sabrosita in Eastlake. I also have helped him perform at birthday parties and restaurant parties every once in a while,” Herrera said. “In school there is a lot more patience in the sense that we have time to practice for music. But out in gigs, he will give me a song or a key [to show me the pattern quickly]. It can be stressful but it is really enjoyable.”

It was very inspiring to know that such a good mariachi performer was in front of me.

— Former Advanced Mariachi student and sophomore Aislynn Melesio

Herrera has known Gonzalez for three years and has always admired him. Just like Herrera, many other students like Melesio look up to him as an inspiration and express how they aspire to be just like him in the future.

“[Gonzalez] mentioned that he travels around the world just to perform. He also showed us pictures of him with celebrities like Vincente Fernandez, Chris Miguel and others,” Melesio said. “He surprised me because I never knew that he would know those people. It was very inspiring to know that such a good mariachi performer was in front of me.”

Gonzalez is not only a muse to his students but also many people around the world. His enthusiasm manifests both in his classroom as he enjoys teaching his students and as he performs worldwide. He does not forget to share his appreciation for music while sharing his talent and experience to all his students to uplift their love for music.

“I have been doing this for all my life and I still enjoy what I am doing. I am blessed that at my age I am still playing with professional groups,” Gonzalez said. “I feel blessed that I was born with that talent, and that [my] father contributed to my musical career.”