Pitstop in Orlando, Florida

VMD travels to Orlando, Florida for national show choir competition

Before their two-day trip to Disney World in Orlando Florida, Bonita Vista Highs Vocal Music Department group Sound Unlimited competed using the set theyve practiced for since Jan. 2023.

PHOTO PROVIDED BY RODNEY CONNORS

Before their two-day trip to Disney World in Orlando Florida, Bonita Vista High’s Vocal Music Department group Sound Unlimited competed using the set they’ve practiced for since Jan. 2023.

On March 17, Bonita Vista High (BVH)’s Music Machine and Sound Unlimited embarked on the Vocal Music Department (VMD)’s annual show choir tour. This year, the tour took place in Orlando, Florida at the Heart of America national show choir competition. Music Machine competed and placed first in the open division—a division for choirs of any gender— and placed fifth in the mixed division—a division consisting of only mixed-gender choirs. Sound Unlimited competed and placed fifth in a division of female-only choirs otherwise known as the treble division. The VMD was able to visit Walt Disney World before the tour ended on March 21. 

“Music Machine and Sound Unlimited have a long tradition of traveling. It’s a thing we do every year to expose students to different parts of the country, different cultures, different activities and different ideas,” VMD director Michael Atwood said. “This year, for example, there was a school from California, Oklahoma and Indiana. Each of those different states has its own version of show choir. We’re all singing and dancing, but we all do it a little differently.”

The VMD started preparation months in advance for the tour. Music Machine member and junior Trevor Braaten explains that along with the hard work of students, going on tour also requires help from people outside VMD, such as parents and technicians.

“This year, we started our preparation [in Jan.] for our competition set that we used on tour and we still make improvements throughout the season,” Braaten said. “It takes not only us students in the group to put in the time and effort, but our parents, Vocal Music Foundation board members, directors, choreographers, technicians and our parent boosters.”

Besides traveling to support their kids performing, parents played a crucial role behind the scenes. Sound Unlimited co-alto section leader and senior Samantha Hernandez shares that VMD enlisted the help of two parents to drive their costumes and props across the country for the competition.

“There is a lot of work done behind the scenes that often goes unnoticed. Two of our tech dads took two weeks off of work to drive a U-haul truck across the country and back containing all of our stage props and costumes, since we are unable to bring them with us on the airplane. There were also chaperones who made sure we had a good time and were safe while on tour,” Hernandez said.

Preparation for the tour also included fundraising throughout the year. Hernandez says that funding is a crucial aspect of the tour. VMD raised funding through events like restaurant fundraisers and performances to cover the numerous expenses of the tour. According to Braaten the tour costs “about $2,000 but there is financial aid to those who need it.”

“The biggest thing that goes into making the tour possible is finances. Throughout the year, VMD works to raise money through restaurant fundraisers, performances and other sales, all of which go back to our costumes, transportation, competitions and of course, the tour,” Hernandez said.

Atwood is an alumni of BVH and Music Machine, so he recognizes the dedication students put into preparing for the tour. While Atwood acknowledges the hard work it takes to go on tour, he also believes the experience is extremely valuable for students to bond with their peers. 

“You’re not going to remember the placement you got or the song you sang or what some judge said. You’re going to remember this: the stories and [the] memories,”

— Vocal Music Department director Michael Atwood

“You’re not going to remember the placement you got or the song you sang or what some judge said. You’re going to remember this: the stories and [the] memories,” Atwood said. “ My fondest memories in high school are from the program and particularly the tour.”

Member of Music Machine and freshman Mackenzie Koeppen feels similarly to Atwood about creating memories on tour. Koeppen says that a significant part of her tour experience was the opportunity to bond with fellow VMD members at Disney World.

“I personally think the best part of the tour was getting to experience the magic of all four Disney World parks with my closest friends,” Koeppen said. “We got two days in Disney World and I do have to say with the amount of core memories, funny moments and unthinkable things that occurred on this trip, I don’t see how we were able to fit them all in two days. That’s how fun and amazing the tour was.”

Atwood learned through his experience in VMD that the time and effort students put into show choir is worth it in the end. Although making the tour a success requires effort from everyone involved, Atwood believes it is important to value the journey.

“What I’ve learned from VMD is that hard work pays off. Sometimes it’s tough, sometimes you’re exhausted, but you keep going and you keep fighting. Sometimes we can see where we’re going, but it’s about the journey and the process to get there,” Atwood said.