Staff Editorial: Bringing honor to journalism

Honors Journalism course approval encourages next generation of leaders

Adali Leon

The Crusader appreciates Principal Roman Del Rosario’s, Ed.D, efforts in advertising for the Newspaper course to become an Honors course.

Newspaper is one of Bonita Vista High’s (BVH) most rigorous courses, instilling student journalists with the skills of the next generation of leaders. As the staff of BVH’s newspaper, The Crusader, we affirm the efforts of BVH Principal Roman Del Rosario, Ed.D., to grant our course Honors credit as a weighted Honors Journalism class: it is a welcomed and necessary change to the BVH curriculum. 

Without journalism, corruption seeps into institutions of power. Our work encourages students to empower themselves and identify challenges to students’ safety, interests and well-being.

— Issac Lozano

As a student-led organization, The Crusader is dedicated to serving the school community on a year-round basis. Like many Honors courses, our commitments require time and diligence; we produce high-quality content that informs and entertains our audience. 

Since March of 2020, we have been working remotely, covering the impacts of COVID-19 on students and staff throughout the pandemic. We documented Sweetwater Union High School District’s (SUHSD) financial state as schools closed, and we informed students of changes to graduation and the implementation of distance learning. We hope to continue representing a source of transparency and clarity during a time of dramatic upheaval. 

Every story we write has multiple steps to ensure accuracy, thoroughness and overall quality. Throughout every issue of our publication, we hold workshops and meetings to work on articles, multimedia, page design, lessons and logistical conflicts. Independently, however, each member of our staff also conducts interviews, attends sports games or online events, takes photos and researches different issues.

It’s no surprise that our newspaper was ranked fourth-best in the nation among broadsheet high school newspapers in the 2019 National Journalism Convention. Our paper’s production is rigorous and mirrors the difficulty of other Honors courses, which demand time and hard work from students. Our work is no different.

We hope a weighted credit for our class will expand our staff size and bolster our mission as student journalists: to inform and entertain. Reporting keeps our community updated on district and schoolwide events. We keep our leaders accountable and encourage a watchful student body. Without journalism, corruption seeps into institutions of power. Our work encourages students to empower themselves and identify challenges to students’ safety, interests and well-being. Our commitment is to facilitate this process. 

Throughout the pandemic, we have also been recognized by several organizations for our journalistic excellence. The district has shared our work with the broader Sweetwater community to help illuminate trends and events occurring across the South Bay region. We have also published content in The Best of SNO, a website for the best student journalism nationwide. 

As student journalists, we are inspired to tell the stories wedged in the nooks and crannies of our community. We believe The Crusader is BVH’s beacon of transparency during uncertain and tumultuous times like these. Honoring our mission will keep that beacon alight with hope.