SUHSD offers seniors option to return to campus

Isaac Lozano

SUHSD officials announced that seniors have the option to return to campus beginning on April 12 for in-person instruction during a March 22 board meeting.

Isaac Lozano, Features Editor

In a district board meeting on March 22, Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) officials announced that seniors will have the option to return to in-person instruction beginning on April 12. The approval comes after California Governor Gavin Newsom incentivized school districts across the state to reopen classrooms for at least one full grade level by offering 12.7 million dollars in state funding.

In February, SUHSD approved allowing 10% of students in the district to return to campus, particularly those facing the brunt of connectivity problems, low grades or other pandemic-related issues. Approximately 5,000 students across the district are set to return to in-person learning beginning on April 12, in addition to seniors who choose to opt for in-person instruction. Teachers may voluntarily return to school on April 12, but all district staff are expected to be on campus by May 3. 

“We continue to observe all safety protocols, such as wearing face mass and observing physical distancing. These steps are part of the ongoing process we are making toward a safe reopening of our schools,” SUHSD Superintendent Moses Aguirre, Ed.D., said during the March 22 board meeting

Senior Angelica Castillo said she agreed with the district’s decision but felt “pretty neutral” as she did not have “high expectations” for seniors to want to return to in-person instruction.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to go back. I just feel like I adapted [to remote learning] considering how long it’s been.”

— Senior Angelica Castillo

“Personally, I wouldn’t want to go back. I just feel like I adapted [to remote learning] considering how long it’s been. It just doesn’t really seem [like] something I want to do anymore,” Castillo said.

Castillo said her biggest worry now is deciding where to go to college, as the pandemic has placed much of the college application process in disarray. 

“My biggest worry is making college decisions and wondering if I should stay closer [to home]. [Will] this pandemic keep on going? Or is it going to get better?” Castillo said. “[I want to know] where I’m putting my money college-wise.”

Looking forward, Castillo noted that to best support seniors, she hopes the district can provide them the “best” end of the year as COVID-19 cases go down and in-person activities become available. 

“Class of 2020 didn’t really get [the end of their senior year]. [This year], I feel like instead of doing things like a drive-thru parade, [the district] … [should] have our voices heard in events such as graduation and prom. If [SUHSD adjusts] everything to [COVID-19] guidelines, I hope that they do it in a way that puts everyone into consideration,” Castillo said.