Barons fall short to the titans

BVH varsity boys’ basketball lose against EH in home game with a score of 68-58

Jose Solis

During Bonita Vista High’s game versus Eastlake High, guard and forward junior Mikeal Pink dribbles across the court, running through player after player so that he can get to the hoop. Once he does, he jumps for a lay-up.

On Jan. 21, students, guardians and staff from both Bonita Vista High (BVH) and Eastlake High (EH) filled the BVH gym. BVH’s Associated Student Body planned a spirit attire for BVH spectators that night, asking attendees to wear any Hawaiian-type clothing. Music blasted from the speakers as spectators try to find any open seating in the crowded gym. Some sat against the wall because of the lack of seats. Prior to the game, both varsity boys’ basketball teams warm up by practicing their plays and foul shots on the court. The music died down until it was completely quiet, then both teams huddled up for a quick pep talk. All the players except the starters ran off the court. Both teams’ starters got into position, the ball was thrown up in the middle and the game started. By the end, BVH varsity boys’ basketball team lost to EH leaving the final score at 58-68.

“I felt like we could have executed better, in the second quarter we kind of let loose a little bit [and] we weren’t sharing the ball,” Shooting Guard and sophomore Diego Figueroa (30) said.  “We could have played better and played together a little bit more as a team because those little mistakes add up in the long run and towards the end of the game [those things matter].”

During the first quarter, EH had a score of 15. For BVH, Shooting Guard and junior Jesus Figueroa (1) made a 3 pointer, then Power Forward and sophomore Micheal Hansen (32) made a two-pointer shot twice. Guard and junior Mikeal Pink (21) made a two-pointer and finally Guard and junior Remi Soler (2) made a two-pointer, leaving BVH with a score of 11. The first quarter ended with a score of 11-15 with EH in the lead.

I feel good about the shots I’ve taken because I was shooting open shots. I was not rushing myself and I knew my teammates trusted me to shoot the ball so I just let it fly

— Mikeal Pink

In Quarter two, Hansen scored a two-pointer. Pink makes a two-pointer, then got 2 foul shots and made one of them, which resulted in one point. Point Guard and freshman Treyvon Davis (31) made a two-pointer twice. Finally, Soler made the last shot for quarter two and it was a two-pointer, leaving EH still in the lead with a score of 37 and BVH with a score of 22. 

“As a team, we need to work on execution. In this game, we started executing in the first quarter. That’s where we had a little comeback and a run, but in our other two games we were executing [more] and we won,” Pink said. “This game, because of our rivalry, I think we let the hype get to our head in the beginning, and then we came together in the end.”

The buzzer continued to mark the end of the second quarter. Both teams went into separate rooms and discussed strategies to execute in the final two quarters. Cheerleaders performed a mini cheer after. While the teams were discussing, the crowd was occupied by something else, a game of knockout. 

3 EH and 3 BVH students were chosen to play a game of knockout where the first player will shoot, and once they have gotten their shot off, the player behind them may shoot. If the first shooter makes a basket before the second, they hand the ball to the next person in line. If the second shooter makes a basket before the first, the first shooter is eliminated. The first knocked out was BVH. Finally, one EH and one BVH student were left. While they kept shooting, saving themselves from getting knocked out, BVH shot one, EH kept trying to shoot until BVH shot that second shot, knocking out EH. BVH won and “knocked out”, the BVH crowd cheered as the EH crowd booed. Buzzer buzzed again and the players came out of their rooms and huddled up one last time. After the huddle, they went back on the court for the third quarter game.

“You know, I am most proud of our fans for sticking around and cheering us on,” BVH varsity boys’ basketball head coach Don Dumas said.

The third quarter began, EH got 13 points this quarter resulting in a total score of 50. Pink started off making two, two-pointers, J. Figueroa got two foul shots and made one. Shooting Guard and junior Micheal Barragan (11) made a two-pointer. Pink made a three-pointer then got two foul shots and made one; he also made another two-pointer. Forward and senior Chase Bein-aime (15) made a three-pointer. Pink got two foul shots and made them both, ending the fourth quarter with BVH at 41. EH was in the lead with a score of 41-50.

“The bench kept up the intensity, the crowd was hyped so we did what we were supposed to be doing. Even the people that did not get in [the gym], we’re still supporting us,” Pink said. “Jesus was playing his heart out. I am especially proud of Trey because he is a freshman on varsity and I know it’s his first time starting. He still gave his heart [to the game] and it’s overwhelming for him, I know he is going to get through it.” 

Pink made the first shot in quarter four, and it was a four-pointer. J. Figueroa made a two-pointer and Barragan got two foul shots and made both of them. Pink made one foul shot and Soler made a three-pointer. Pink made the final three-pointer shot leaving BVH with an ending score of 58. The final record was 58-68, EH with the winning score.

“[We could work on] a lot of things [like] passing the ball better [and] running better,” Dumas said. 

The next game for the BVH boys’ basketball team was against Montogmery (MOH), at MOH. BVH lost to MOH with a final score of 41-73. Furthermore, they will play against EH for the final time at EH on February 11.

“I am proud of my team, I am proud of my coaches [and] I am proud of the way we played even though we didn’t end up winning. I am just proud of everybody [including] the fans for coming out and supporting us,” D. Figueroa said. “It’s a good little loss but we are gonna come back stronger.”