A fight to the finish

Overcoming senioritis is a difficult task, but never impossible

Surviving the end of the school year has proven to be a challenge as of late. Oftentimes, it feels like I’m chained to a weight, dragging myself to the end of the week.

Senioritis is the “ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades,” according to Merriam-Webster. As if it were an illness, I have been experiencing the symptoms of senioritis since last semester due to academic burnout.

Going into my last semester as a high schooler, I was determined to finish the year stronger than ever. I’m going to do anything I can to finish with straight A’s and give my 100 percent in all of my classes, I thought foolishly.

It seems as if I overestimated my motivation to finish the year strong. Those around me, like my family, friends and even teachers, seem to be fighting senioritis until Spring Break. This week was difficult and I can’t quite pinpoint when the overwhelming sense of discouragement set in. All I know is that it was one of the most challenging weeks I experienced this year. But why? Why am I so exhausted, and where has my drive to ‘finish strong’ gone?

It’s okay to feel overwhelmed, but it is just as important to walk down that stage, diploma in hand, and say, ‘I graduated high school!

— Carina Muiz

Possibly, the submission of my Extended Essay (EE)—one of the most difficult assignments of my high school career—opened my eyes to how much work I had put into my senior year and how much work I still have left to complete. Perhaps that is when the feeling of despair overwhelmed me.

It’s easy to feel alone—desperate even—when you are overwhelmed with schoolwork. However, it is important to remember that students have resources and solutions to the regular burnout that they might be feeling. As I have heard from many seniors before me, senioritis is bound to hit you during your last year. However, it’s the matter of how you keep yourself going that counts.

As of late, I have adopted and developed a few tips and tricks to prevent me from completely giving into senioritis:

1. Accept what you are feeling; senioritis has many forms. In my case, I have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Through all the troubles, I remember that these feelings are normal and I must go through them to take the next step in overcoming senioritis. Talking with others is helpful when overcoming senioritis, so groups like the Academic support group that Bonita Vista High offers help, provide guidance and advice to struggling students.
  2. 80 percent is the new 100 percent. To clarify, it is almost impossible for students to spread themselves thin and give their 100 percent to every class, especially in a pandemic. While quality work is important in school, it is of no use if it is marked ‘Missing.’ While I hope one day I can accomplish such a feat, my personal, academic and extracurricular life occupy much of my time.
  3. Set goals for yourself. By setting goals, I stay engaged in school intellectually and socially. Furthermore, the satisfaction of crossing off daunting tasks, whether they be big or small, motivates me to move forward onto the next task. After completing my EE, I felt as if I had ended an important chapter in my high school career, motivating me to persevere with the rest of my essays. 
  4. Recharge your mental state. Recently, I took charge in my well-being by setting aside some time to crochet. Doing so allowed me to clear my mind of any academic responsibilities that might unmotivate me to work hard in school.
  5. ‘Only three months left!’ By reminding myself that the school year is nearly coming to an end not only eases my worries, but motivates me to finish strong.

It is easy for students, especially seniors, to give in to the temptations of senioritis. I advise students to take a step back and reflect on all of the accomplishments and hard work that has gotten them where they are now. As for me, I will strive to achieve straight A’s just as I planned to, but not at the risk of experiencing academic burnout. It’s okay to feel overwhelmed, but it is just as important to walk down that stage, diploma in hand, and say, ‘I graduated high school!