‘Mystery at Shady Acres’ review—a mystery unraveled with comedic absurdity

A solid 3.5/5

Gabriella Bomjardim

Junior Madison Almodovar fills out an ‘Informant Tip Sheet’ handed to her by Drama Department students acting as police officers. They request help from the audience in determining the culprit, and attendees must select their suspect in addition to giving their reasons why.

Alexa Vazquez, Editor-at-Large

Hotel staff pace frantically across the stage, the hotel guests squawk and squabble as they point fingers and the police chief cannot seem to catch a break. A solid return for the Bonita Vista High (BVH) Drama Department; the outlandish comedy of ‘Mystery at Shady Acres’ engages audiences with its charming performances. 

Undergoing the persistence of COVID-19 and overwhelming numbers of drama student absences, the Drama Department celebrates its return. After a two-year absence from the spotlight, their one-night show on Feb. 16 delivered a solid mystery and comedy to attendees. 

Following the story of Shady Acres—a cozy hotel hidden away in the late 1920s American countryside—anxious hotel staff and regulars prepare for the arrival of wealthy couple Edward (junior Anthony Scheurenbrand) and Blanche (junior Emma Sykes) Fairfax. Upon the couple’s arrival, the wife’s valuable diamond necklace is stolen, and it is left to Chief Dorthy Wickfied (junior Kailea Vickers) to find the culprit—with the help of the audience.

The interactive element of this production recruits families and friends in the audience, adding lighthearted absurdity to the ongoing mystery.

— Alexa Vazquez

The interactive element of this production recruits families and friends in the audience, adding lighthearted absurdity to the ongoing mystery. The audience spouts out crazed theories or critically thought out evidence leading to the thief. The investigation, though led by Vickers’s serious Chief Dorthy character, is silly in nature thanks to klutzy Sergeant Farley O’Doyle (senior Andrew Atkinson), whose performance as the cop was endearing. His exaggerated accent and bewilderment at losing critical evidence delivered full laughter from the audience.  

Additionally, front desk attendant Basil (freshmen Jasper Belicario) consistently brought funny smiles with a charming character—becoming the audience’s familiar friendly face amongst the suspicious hotel staff. After he was falsely accused of the crime, similar emotions of frustration were shared throughout the audience. 

Although betrayals and hidden motives amongst characters were prevalent, ‘Mystery at Shady Acres’ chose to put less emphasis on its drama and tensions. Instead, it aimed for laughter and chuckles from the audience. With the presence of a crime, the production could have capitalized more on those tensions by playing up the drama. 

However, roles with the most hostilities were played bitterly with their characters’ frustrations recognizable to audiences even without visible scowls due to masks. COVID-19 regulations required attendees to wear masks inside the theater, in addition to the venue itself being limited to ⅓ capacity.      

Sykes’s performance as Mrs. Fairfax demonstrated so much character that a mere hesitant sip from a teacup told the audience to laugh at her pompous attitude. While two of the three culpritsAudry Rochester (sophomore Kali Swanson) and Harriot Clifford (senior Mariana Marquez)are revealed through an absurd confrontation, the intense deliveries of their lines are what made their performances memorable.

From the coats and maid outfits of the 1920s to the dusty old couches and chairs; the ‘Shady Acres Hotel’ was a lively space filled with gossiping staff and klutzy officers, in addition to the whispers of its crafty thieves. BVH’s Drama Department’s wacky ‘Mystery at Shady Acres’ play is charmingly funny, with characters that summoned chuckles and the occasional humor provoked by its stuffy culprits. A solid 3.5/5; audiences should look forward to seeing what future Drama Department productions have to offer.