Stepping stone

Student teachers gain teaching experience in BVH classrooms

Accelerated+and+Regular+Biology+student+teacher+Dang+Keying+teaches+a+lesson+on+Speciation.+Students+in+the+class+take+notes+on+their+computer+whiles+Keying+lectures+about+the+presentation+on+the+screen.+

Nicole Macgaffey

Accelerated and Regular Biology student teacher Dang Keying teaches a lesson on Speciation. Students in the class take notes on their computer whiles Keying lectures about the presentation on the screen.

Antoinette Gilbert, Staff Writer

At Bonita Vista High (BVH), there are many college students in the middle of their journey to becoming a teacher. Student teaching is a key stepping stone to becoming a licensed teacher as it provides hands-on experience in the classroom. 

These student teachers work under the supervision of a licensed classroom teacher to gain the vital skills and experience needed. In addition, student teachers do prepare visual materials and other educational equipment. Nomei Avenido, a Biology student teacher at BVH shared that she wanted to become a teacher because of her love for science and passion for teaching.

“In college, I realized I wanted to become a teacher and that [it is] something that I’m really passionate about. So, I applied last school year to San Diego State University (SDSU), and here I am [in the classroom], because I love what I do,” Avenido said.

Similar to Avenido, Dang Keying is also following her passion of becoming a teacher and working hard to achieve her goal. She is an Accelerated and Regular Biology student teacher at BVH. Avenido and Keying both put a lot of effort into becoming a licensed teacher by learning as a student teacher from their mentors. 

Student teachers’ jobs entail creating lesson plans and teaching classes. Other responsibilities include providing feedback to students and keeping records of the progress students make for evaluation. The lessons consist of four parts: planning, implementing the plan, teaching during class time and reflecting.

The student teaching experience really enriches my education.

— Accelerated and Regular Biology student teacher Dang Keying

“Throughout all these years in college, I realized I learned a lot of theoretical stuff, so having the student teaching experience really enriches my education,” Keying said. 

In order to become a teacher, one must be a student teacher for an entire year. Student teachers must receive training and knowledge to work in a real classroom. They learn how to manage a classroom environment in terms of social climate, emotional and the physical aspects.

The process of becoming a teacher involves numerous steps. These steps include going to college and taking part in an education graduate program. Rob Holland, a Human Geography 9 student teacher took part in the SDSU program. 

“To get into SDSU you have to have a bachelor’s degree and two letters of recommendation from employers, professors, and things like that. You had to pass the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CEST) for the subject area. It is a test to show that you know more than a high schooler about the subject area you’re about to teach,” Holland said. 

Student teachers learn to lead and guide in the classroom. Also, they gain confidence by teaching and interacting with the class. The student teaching experience is an enriching opportunity to strengthen classroom techniques as well learn something new from those with years of experience, according to Holland.

“This experience has been super valuable, and I’m glad this intensive program [was started],” Holland said.

A student teacher’s first semester focuses on taking notes on how to become a professional teacher. Student teachers focus on observing, watching a class and slowly taking over. 

“We also are teaching during class time, and reflecting,” Keying said.

In the second semester, student teachers begin to take over the classroom. According to Holland, student teachers make their own lesson plans, grade assignments and manage extra-curricular activities with students and parents. 

Some struggles and challenges student teachers may go through are a lack of experience, minimal knowledge and having few practical skills. Holland, for instance, struggles with differentiating. 

“Because of different motivation levels and different situations, I want to give every student in the classroom the best opportunity to succeed,” Holland said.

Holland and other student teachers lookout for the students by answering questions and teaching them. Student teachers have the opportunity to learn from their co-workers and students. 

“I feel very proud, and I’m glad to be in this [student teacher] position, because [International Baccalaureate (IB), Environmental Social Science (ESS), Advanced Placement (AP) Environmental Science and Accelerated Biology teacher at BVH] Jennifer Ekstein is basically holding my hand through all these very difficult processes,” Keying said.