SDSU holds informational Compact for Success meeting for class of 2024

Lead+Student+Success+Coordinator+Angel+Rocha%2C+San+Diego+State+University+%28SDSU%29+Senior+Outreach+Assistant+Kaetlyn+Factoran%2C+Facilitator+and+Translator+Laura+Juarez%2C+SDSU+First+Year+Liberal+Studies+Major+and+Bonita+Vista+High+graduate+Mia+Aguimatang%2C+SDSU+Psychology+Major+Chula+Vista+High+School+graduate+Itzayanna+Rodrigez%2C+SDSU+First+Year+Psychology+Major+and+Hilltop+High+School+graduate+Emma+Mestas+discuss+the+experiences+of+first+year+college+students+during+the+pandemic+in+an+informational+zoom+meeting+about+SDSUs+Compact+for+Success.+

Stephanie Lomeli

Lead Student Success Coordinator Angel Rocha, San Diego State University (SDSU) Senior Outreach Assistant Kaetlyn Factoran, Facilitator and Translator Laura Juarez, SDSU First Year Liberal Studies Major and Bonita Vista High graduate Mia Aguimatang, SDSU Psychology Major Chula Vista High School graduate Itzayanna Rodrigez, SDSU First Year Psychology Major and Hilltop High School graduate Emma Mestas discuss the experiences of first year college students during the pandemic in an informational zoom meeting about SDSU’s Compact for Success.

Stephanie Lomeli, Podcast Manager

On Saturday, Feb. 26, San Diego State University (SDSU) held an informational Zoom meeting regarding the status of the 2024 senior class in the Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) who qualify for Compact for Success. The meeting was open to every student and parent who completed the google form that was provided by Counselor on Special Assignment for College and Career Readiness from SUHSD Liliana Silva Diaz Ph.D.

Compact for Success is an exclusive agreement between SDSU and SUHSD—established since 2002—that guarantees admission to four year SUHSD students. Compact for Success students must meet specific performance expectations starting from grade nine to grade 12. The meeting covered the expectations, like the necessary Grade Point Average (GPA) needed to have a guaranteed admission at SDSU.

“Students need to make sure they complete the courses. A lot of classes [required for graduation] overlap with required courses to be eligible for Compact for Success,” SDSU Lead Student Success Coordinator Angel Rocha said.  

Rocha also briefly updated parents and students on recent program developments. The COVID-19 pandemic put a temporary pause on the agreement, not guaranteeing the class of 2024 students admissions like in previous years. Educational Opportunity Program and Ethic Affairs Coordinator Nico Villa promotes the possibility of going to a 4-year university during a pandemic, despite the challenges.   

Students are incredibly adaptable. They can trust their intuition and honor their feelings.

— Educational Opportunity Program and Ethic Affairs Coordinator Nico Villa

“Students are incredibly adaptable. They can trust their intuition and honor their feelings. One thing that could be really challenging especially during these moments is seeing that possibilities are actually possible,” Villa said

While Eastlake High (EH) alumni and SDSU Senior Outreach Assistant Kaetlyn Factoran’s college journey was through a pandemic, it was a transition she was forced to experience. Factoran describes that she strived to change her environment from her high school years by joining various clubs. Throughout the meeting, there were three first year SDSU students who spoke on their college experiences andwhat led them to attend a 4-year university during a pandemic. 

“If I was going to go to a college in [the] pandemic, I would want to go somewhere I was able to go back home., That way I didn’t have to struggle with flights or have my parents pick me up eight hours away,” Chula Vista High (CVH) alumni and SDSU Psychology Major Itzayanna Rodrigez said.   

Rodriguez found that having SDSU close to home was a more convenient option when it came to a living space. Bonita Vista High (BVH) alumni and SDSU First Year Liberal Studies Major Mia Aguimatang sees the potential students are expressing by wanting to further their education during a pandemic. 

“Growth, having that genuine drive and motivation to want to further your education as a student or as a person and being open to that possibility—that your aspirations and dreams are possible,” Aguimatang said.