New changes coming to BVTV

Mr.+Martinez+%28left%29+and+BVTV+Crew+sets+up+broadcasting+station+in+order+to+test+out+camera+and+sound+quality.+++

Sofia Murillo

Mr. Martinez (left) and BVTV Crew sets up broadcasting station in order to test out camera and sound quality.

Antoinette Gilbert, Arts & Culture Copy Editor

Week-day mornings at Bonita Vista High (BVH) have been entertaining with new daily Bonita Vista Television (BVTV) broadcasts. But as of this month, BVTV announced that they are making new changes to their schedule.

Multimedia teacher Hugo Martinez, who has been a teacher at BVH for the past five years, shares why he decided to make new changes to BVTV. Additionally, he describes the expectations and goals he has set for the broadcast.

“Since the day I had started as a teacher I was well aware of the industry. I obviously notice the challenges ahead of us and I know that this is a process that would take a few years to improve to be in the top program,” Martinez said. “We raise our process and every year, we just try to make it better and better with the final goal of giving the students the edge.”

Students can see the first-rate entertainment Martinez and the BVTV crew tries to provide to the BVH community as he continuously pushes to improve quality a little more each year. In fact, making new changes to improve and adjust different new things on BVTV has not been easy from the technical point of view according to Martinez. Although there have been many challenges that come with improving the quality some have proved to be the most challenging such as developing computer and technology skills. 

“[Some goals] are always going to be the same in regards to what we [BVTV] focus on computer studies and with the development of software skills, technology skills and master skills. It is not only going to help them [Martinez’s students] in the industry but also in multimedia and in life in general,” Martinez said.

“I have learned to work with a group, how to become a team leader and how to make everyone feel welcomed”

— BVTV producer, main anchor, and senior Alejandro “Pops” Cesena

Having to know many skills and getting the right experiences with all of them show how much work it takes to be able to post a daily BVTV. The BVTV crew absorbs technical information that may be helpful for their future while also learning valuable life lessons. In addition to the technical skills acquired, BVTV producer, main anchor and senior Alejandro “Pops” Cesena shares what else they have picked up while being part of BVTV.

“I have learned to work with a group, how to become a team leader and how to make everyone feel welcomed,” Cesena said.

As well as learning many things from BVTV, it also leads to new changes to improve expertise and to get a better outcome of the projects in BVTV. For this reason, ever since Martinez knew he had the opportunity to pass on skills to a curious younger generation, he made the decision to take it upon himself and pass on knowledge he has required over the years. He proves as an effective teacher for BVTV as he is always eager to try something new and keep learning. 

From all of the new learning skills and new improvements being set to BVTV broadcast, there are many things students could gain out of the BVTV. And though this daily upload schedule will be laid to rest for a week, one of the many good things that has come out of this, for example, is the fact that the crew has demonstrated their potential by working under pressure. Students also claim to believe that the things they are learning from Mr. Martinez now will help them in their future endeavors. 

“What I gain from joining BVTV is the knowledge and trade that I learned from Mr. Martinez. It allows me to become a future filmmaker or simple recorder,” Cesena said. 

BVTV’s producer and editor for Thursday broadcasts, senior Adrien Renteria, shares similar sentiments to the others of what they think about the new changes and how the class functions.

“The changes in BVTV are really different yet fun to experience since it’s a student run class. Also starting up the new virtual studio was a cool idea because it opens us students up to being more creative,” Renteria said. “[It provides us better production and better equipment.”

Many of the shifts coming to BVTV simultaneously provide good learning experiences for students in the class such as learning to effectively communicate as a team, acquiring technical skills that can be put to good use in the future and overall developing a sense of responsibility to contribute quality production and content for the BVH community.

“So at the end [of students’ journey at BVH] that’s about all of it [the new changes to BVTV], making sure that my students have that advantage when they leave BVH and move on in life,” Martinez said