Low voting participation for the prom theme

Very few seniors attend the Task Force 23’ prom theme meeting

Lauralai Gilbert

In Bonita Vista High’s room 907 on March 16 a meeting was held by Task Force 2023, to have a vote for prom theme. Very few seniors attended and chose the theme Masquerade out of Alice in Wonderland, Tangled and Masquerade.

On March 16, Task Force 2023 held a meeting in room 907 for this year’s prom theme decision. The 2022-2023 school year senior prom will be held on May 6. The meeting was held for the seniors to choose the prom theme. Seniors had the choices of three options for the theme: Alice in Wonderland, Tangled and Masquerade. Due to a tie vote, the final decision for the prom theme was decided as “Royal Masquerade” with a close vote from Alice in Wonderland. 

Although this meeting was not mandatory for seniors, Task Force 2023 secretary Audrey Fernandez expressed that there were few seniors that attended the meeting. As Fernandez’s role as secretary, she promoted most of the announcements for the meeting and the options that seniors had to choose from.

“Obviously 20 out of 520 [seniors] is not the majority. It’s possible that if 40 more seniors attended the meeting a few weeks ago, the third theme we had, Alice in Wonderland, would have taken the lead,” Fernandez said. “We’re less than a month out from prom now, but I think it has a lot to do with the lack of school spirit.”

With the lack of attendance in the meeting, people may have not been satisfied with the outcome of the vote. Fernandez believes that from her perspective, there could have been more promotion about the meeting in advance to encourage more seniors to attend. 

“I believe we’ve had an announcement at the beginning of lunch [on March 16] on the intercom, encouraging seniors to come in and vote for the prom theme. But I do think that it could have been better promoted and maybe given [the seniors] a few day’s notice [about the meeting],” Fernandez said.

I think we’d have a better representation if more students attended. There’s no way to know whether or not it would’ve made any difference. However it would’ve been nice to have that reassurance that every, or at least the majority of seniors are going to be excited and satisfied with the prom theme.

— Task Force 2023 secretary Audrey Fernandez

Unlike Fernandez, Task Force 23’ President Lannah Garcia believes that the number of seniors that attended the meeting was not unusual. However, she agrees with Fernandez that with the size of the senior class of 2023, the majority of seniors did not attend the meeting like they hoped they would have.

“When we do have an open meeting, there are around 15 or so people that come. At the prom theme meeting, there were definitely more different people than those who usually come. But it’s still a very low number of people considering how many seniors are going to actually attend prom,” Garcia said. 

There are mixed opinions among the members of Task Force and seniors on whether there were enough students who attended the prom theme meeting to accurately represent the senior class and their overall opinion on the prom theme decision. Students such as senior Brian Tarlit felt that from his experience, the seniors that did attend the meeting were able to contribute accurately to such an important event like senior prom.

“I feel like there were more people because some people wanted to contribute to how our senior prom would end up and I feel like there were more since it is a bigger event too,” Tarlit said.

Fernandez expresses how if there were more students that had attended the meeting, the final decision for the prom theme may have been more accurate in representing the opinion of the majority of the senior class.

“I think we’d have a better representation if more students attended. There’s no way to know whether or not it would’ve made any difference,” Fernandez said. “However it would’ve been nice to have that reassurance that every, or at least the majority of seniors are going to be excited and satisfied with the prom theme.”