Capturing smiles

BVH Picture Day held on campus

BVH+Picture+Day+was+held+in+the+library.+Student+stood+on+the+red+feet+when+taking+their+photo+socially+distanced+from+the+photographer.+

Jaime Jazo

BVH Picture Day was held in the library. Student stood on the red feet when taking their photo socially distanced from the photographer.

Adali Leon and Grace Na

From April 12 through April 15, Bonita Vista High (BVH) held Picture Day for the 2020-2021 school year on campus. This event was carried out throughout the span of one week to ensure that students would be safe.

Once students got their temperature checked before entering the library, they lined up at one of the four different stations with their masks on. After they were excused forward, they removed their masks for the picture and then waited for their identification (ID) cards to be printed before walking out the back door of the library. 

“The process is really easy [and] smooth. Bonita kids, you guys are great, so there [haven’t] been any major issues at all,”

The process is really easy[…and] smooth. Bonita kids, you guys are great, so there [haven’t] been any major issues at all.

— BVH Librarian and Geography teacher Mary Aruil

According to sophomore Mitchell Moundraty, the process for Picture Day was simple and quick. He stated that there was not much of a difference in the event compared to past years, except for the fact that it was held in the library rather than the gym.

“I noticed that there were less students [waiting to get their picture taken] compared to last year. I was thinking that it was going to be much weirder this year, but it didn’t feel that much different,” Moundraty said. “It was alright when I took my mask off for the picture.”

Aruil stated that hosting picture day was beneficial to students who attended the event since they received their student ID cards. She believes that student ID cards are more significant than people may think. 

“I think it was a good idea. I wish it had been done earlier in the school year because students need their ID cards. For a lot of them it’s their only form of [identification],” Aruil said.

For Aruil, Picture Day not only brought benefits for students, but also for herself. She was happy to see students on campus again, including some of her students that she has never met or seen in-person. 

“It’s nice [to see students on campus again] because I’ve been teaching online and all of my students just use their little emojis instead of showing their faces. I was like ‘Come over and say hi’ so I can see your face and link it to your name.’ Some of [the students] did so it was really nice to see them,” Aruil said.