Masks are a must

Wearing a mask reduces the spread of the COVID-19 virus

The+choice+of+wearing+a+mask+provides+health+benefits+to+both+the+individual+and+people+around+them.+Its+crucial+for+BVH+students+to+follow+COVID-19+protocols+by+wearing+a+mask.+

Anaissa L. Del Rio

The choice of wearing a mask provides health benefits to both the individual and people around them. It’s crucial for BVH students to follow COVID-19 protocols by wearing a mask.

As of Jan. 25, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the total number of COVID-19 cases in the United States (U.S.) was 71,818,876 with 1,140,580 new cases being diagnosed that day. With the increase in COVID-19 cases, the CDC has also reported a total of 866,968 deaths across the nation. Unfortunately, this number is only expected to increase as the continuous surge of the COVID-19 Omicron variant takes the whole country by a storm. 

Behind this startling statistic, however, are real human beings who had the rest of their lives ahead of them before contracting and passing away from the COVID-19 virus. The comforting news is that there is a way to get the number of people contracting the disease down, thus decreasing the number of people passing away from the disease—wearing a mask. This simple act is now more important than ever before with the rapid spread of the Omicron variant. 

Due to the highly contagious nature of the Omicron variant, Bonita Vista High (BVH) administration “recommends that you [students] wear 2 masks at all times, unless eating, especially in the presence of others” and strongly encourages students to mask outdoors when they are with others. Students and staff absences due to contracting COVID-19 at BVH result in substitute shortages. With this, wearing a mask is the best way to keep everyone safe and in school.   

According to the Mayo Clinic, “Face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated, frequent hand-washing and physical distancing, can help slow the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.” Masks are an essential way to stop the spread of the disease because they “help block large-particle droplets, splashes, sprays, or splatter that may contain germs,” as stated by the Food and Drug Association (FDA)

Masks can serve as a barrier and layer of protection between people in the same space. Furthermore, when used by high numbers of people, wearing a mask can be the most effective way to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. 

Another important note is that wearing a mask is not effective unless done correctly. As the CDC states, “individual prevention benefit increases with increasing numbers of people using masks consistently and correctly”. Wearing a mask below the nose can be equivalent to not wearing a mask at all. Overall, to stop the spread of the disease, it is important as a collective for everyone to wear their mask correctly. Otherwise, communities will continue to live in this state for years to come while people are trying to protect their “freedom”.

Simply, wearing a mask can have a major impact on decreasing the spread of the COVID-19 virus. People have argued that it is “their body, their choice”, a phrase often criticized in the pro-choice movement if they do not want to wear a mask. Additionally, many have the ideology that there is still a chance of contracting the disease regardless of wearing a mask since masks are not 100% effective. This has led people to feel that there is no point in putting a piece of cloth over their mouth and nose. 

In a newsletter sent out by the Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) on Jan. 31, students across the district are protesting against the COVID-19 mask requirements by not wearing their masks to school. This is a dangerous activity as it puts the lives of others at stake and increases the possibility of transmission of COVID-19 to other people. 

People are losing sight of the bigger picture. It is necessary to keep in mind that COVID-19 has been wiping out people who are immunocompromised. According to the CDC, “COVID-19 and associated underlying medical conditions that put adults at higher risk of severe illness. Severe illness from COVID-19 is defined here as hospitalization, admission to the intensive care unit (ICU), intubation or mechanical ventilation, or death.”  

People need to think of the pandemic as an issue greater than themselves and positively contribute to society by doing their part and wearing a mask. From this, the spread of the disease would be less and less likely to pass to those who have weak immune systems.

Recently, the BVH administration made efforts to promote the wearing of masks. On Tuesday, Jan. 25, BVH Assistant Principal Esther Wise sent an email to students, staff and parents via Jupiter Grades explaining that “students and staff are being asked to wear well-fitting masks when on campus in the presence of others at all times, such as surgical, N-95 or KN-95, instead of cloth masks which are more likely to degrade.” In the email, Wise described that starting on Jan. 26, students can stop by the Associated Student Body to receive N-95 masks. 

Although there are steps taken by BVH to encourage mask-wearing, ultimately, it is up to the individual to take initiative to wear their masks consistently and effectively.

— Nicole Macgaffey

Although there are steps taken by BVH to encourage mask-wearing, ultimately, it is up to the individual to take initiative to wear their masks consistently and effectively. Without this small effort made, students and staff will continue to get sick and COVID-19 will remain a perpetual element of the BVH community’s new normal.