Mindfulness Monday and Wellness Wednesdays

Stephanie Liang

Mindfulness comes in many ways and can be performed through many activities. Mindfulness can help with understanding ones thoughts and and helps control how they want to feel.

Lauralai Gilbert, Photographer

Soft soothing rhythms and vibrations are felt throughout the body. A calming sensation is felt by students in the classroom. A few minutes set aside during the class period for students to calm down from stressful thoughts allows minds to be free of worry. Through physical and mental exercises, students are free of distractions and filled with peace amongst themselves and their peers.

Several Bonita Vista High (BVH) teachers have dedicated time to relax with students and bring awareness to the importance of taking a break during stressful times on  weekdays–known as Mindfulness Mondays and Wellness Wednesdays. In room 917, English 9 Accelerated teacher Gina Vattuone takes a portion of her class periods and dedicates it to meditating with students and fellow staff. This weekly Monday occurrence is referred to as Mindfulness Monday.

“We [Vattuone’s class] have done box breathing, writing, drawing exercises and goal setting. Semester one emphasized stress management techniques; this semester we are working on ‘Mindful focus’ techniques […] how to reduce distractions and how to manage time,” Vattuone said.

While [Mindfulness Monday] shares some similarities with meditation, mindfulness is about being aware and present, having control over our emotional states and making deliberate, intentional life choices.

— English 9 Accelerated teacher Gina Vattuone

Mindfulness Mondays consist of a meditative practice performed during a 10-minute break from class to allow calming effects and stress relief. Vattuone shares that the 10-minutes committed to Mindfulness Mondays have been found to help students and teachers, providing health, emotional and mental benefits.

“While [Mindfulness Monday] shares some similarities with meditation, mindfulness is about being aware and present, having control over our emotional states and making deliberate, intentional life choices. A portion of our [class] time is dedicated to understanding how our brains learn,” Vattuone said.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Environmental Systems and Societies (ESS), Advanced Placement (AP) Environmental Science and Accelerated Biology teacher Jennifer Ekstein has taken a similar approach to offering a 10-minute session of tranquility amongst her class periods. She has introduced and participated in weekly Wellness Wednesdays, sharing her supportive feelings towards them.

“Meditation is a life skill that has made my life more enjoyable and positive because I am able to be more resilient when life throws a curveball. […] I feel that this skill would benefit my students’ life as well by helping them develop resiliency,” Ekstein said.

Vattuone shares the strong emotions she feels towards the Mindfulness Mondays, mentioning that the 10-minutes help clear her mind and allow her to have a healthy control over her emotions. She added that the Mindfulness Mondays aren’t limited to only teacher use, students are strongly encouraged to participate as well.

“Students are invited to participate at whatever level they feel comfortable. If they choose to use the 10-minutes for quiet reflection or napping, instead of engaging with the mindfulness exercise, they may,” Vattuone said.

Freshman Michelle Macgaffey is a student in Vattuone’s sixth period class. She comments that she enjoys spending time with fellow peers and Vattuone as they complete their weekly 10-minute meditation practice.

“I would meditate or do an activity that would help me feel calmer. Usually, it is meditating or just taking a side to step back and not stress for a second to sit with myself,” Macgaffey said.

Wellness Wednesdays and Mindfulness Mondays have similar shared goals and practices. Vattuone and Ekstein look to find healthy activities that would not only benefit their own meditation, but the meditation and peace among their students. Vattuone and Ekstein both agree that the benefits that come from these two per week occurrences have helped fellow students and teachers cope with stress, control over emotions and internal wellbeing. 

“The definition of Mindfulness Mondays to me is just taking the time to relax for a second and reflect what you need to reflect for the day,” Macgaffey said. “I really like it because it is an important step to set the tone for the day and [to] take that minute to relax.”