Onto bigger dreams

Mock Trial opens doors to meaningful opportunities

Senior+Laurinne+Eugenio+feels+grateful+for+her+involvement+in+Bonita+Vista+Highs+Mock+Trial+team+where+she+was+able+to+develop+important+life+skills%2C+meet+new+people+and+be+a+part+of+a+welcoming+community.+

Laurinne Eugenio

Senior Laurinne Eugenio feels grateful for her involvement in Bonita Vista High’s Mock Trial team where she was able to develop important life skills, meet new people and be a part of a welcoming community.

In my room, I was pacing back and forth as I memorized my speech. Occasionally, I went to the bathroom so I could practice in front of the mirror. Despite numerous attempts to practice my speech, my words blended together as my heart raced—I felt anxious. 

The next day, I went home from school to prepare for an upcoming tournament. I wore a blush-pink top with a matching blazer and pants. In my tote bag I had printer paper, plus red and blue pens to take notes during the competition. I also brought my nude-colored pumps so I can change into them when I arrive at the tournament. 

No, I did not participate in a Speech and Debate competition nor did I drive to a high school to compete. Monday, Mar. 7, marked the end of my journey as a Mock Trial team member. I drove for approximately 20 minutes and arrived at the parking lot near the San Diego Central Courthouse.

Mock Trial is an extracurricular activity offered at Bonita Vista High (BVH), where students learn about the American legal system and the rule of law. According to the San Diego County High School Mock Trial Competition website, the Mock Trial Program also “seeks to develop high school students into better citizens by familiarizing them with our Constitution and Bill of Rights through a mock trial competition enhancing students’ ability to think critically, communicate effectively, and work as a team as well as with other members of society.”

Upon arrival, I joined my fellow Mock Trial team members who were waiting by the entrance; they too wore formal outfits. Despite the wearing of masks, I sensed their smiles as I saw their crescent moon-shaped eyes beaming at me. After getting checked in at the lobby, we went straight to the 18th floor for our round. 

In the competition, I served as the Defense pre-trial attorney where I discussed arguments regarding the Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable search and seizure. My involvement in the round concluded after delivering my arguments for the pre-trial motion. 

I sat at the court’s benches with the rest of the audience members and was able to watch my team’s performance where some played as witnesses and attorneys. I felt thankful to return competing in person; it felt more—real. Last year, we held Mock Trial competitions virtually which felt isolating and less fun.  

As I sat in the audience, it gave me the chance to reflect on my time in Mock Trial. Overall, Mock Trial has a special place in my heart as I committed four years of my life to the program. As a graduating senior, competing at the final round of this year’s season felt bittersweet. 

Looking back, I remember feeling intimidated after joining the team because I had to face my fear of public speaking. I was so close to walking out of the club’s first meeting. However, I’m glad I overcame my fear and sat in on the meeting, brimming with anxiety of course. But, little did I know how much Mock Trial would influence me.

Mock Trial has ingrained life-long skills in me such as public speaking, listening, acting and critical thinking. For me, the most amazing part about Mock Trial is the community aspect of the program. The team is filled with dedicated students who are always willing to help each other and ensure we perform at our best during actual competitions. 

Most especially, Mock Trial provides students the opportunity to meet and work with real attorney coaches. Our attorney coaches are hardworking and selfless. They voluntarily take time out of their busy work schedules to work with us, high school students, without asking for anything in return.

To our beloved attorney coaches: Jason Conge, Leo Fuentes, Alonso Zavalasoto and Ashley Sanchez, words cannot express how grateful the team is to have you. Thank you for your unrelenting support and guidance. Without the four of you the team would not exist, so thank you. Our team extends our infinite gratitude to you all for granting us the privilege to become part of such a beneficial and meaningful program. 

Facing one’s fears can be nerve-wracking but it can also be life-changing.

— Laurinne Eugenio

Facing one’s fears can be nerve-wracking but it can also be life-changing. I encourage BVH students to get out of their comfort zones and make an effort to overcome their worries. Doing so will allow them to develop important life skills, meet new people and be a part of a welcoming community. 

Mock Trial transformed me for the better and helped me discover my own passions. As an aspiring lawyer, I can’t wait for the time when I get ready for a genuine trial, wearing a blouse with my matching blazer and pants. Expect to see me walk proudly in my heels due to the confidence I’ve built from vital lessons and life experiences that BVH’s Mock Trial program gave me.