International welcoming

BVH should welcome more international students

Madison Knudson, Features Editor

Students from around the world come to BVHS. They will learn about the culture and customs in America. (Cherise Magtoto)

Recently, Bonita Vista High (BVH) welcomed Japanese delegates to our school just as they did in the 2020-2021 school year. Delegates were paired with BVH students and followed them to their classes throughout their stay in America. These international students learned about the culture and customs of BVH as their host students helped them navigate around campus.This is why BVH should be open to inviting different students from different countries around the world to explore American culture just like the Japanese delegates did.

“Bringing together people from multiple cultures into one classroom can make for a very lively and productive learning experience – one that reflects the world students will graduate into,” Russell Ford said in 4 Benefits of Bringing Foreign Students to Study at American Universities. When everyone in one place has had the same experience we cannot learn or grow from each other’s experience. With different perspectives from around the world we can create a way to learn from different experiences and backgrounds. 

When students with different cultural backgrounds come together, it can change the atmosphere in a classroom. BVH students exposed to

BVH students exposed to different cultures and backgrounds can widen their perspectives on people around the world, cultivating an inclusive environment within the classroom.

— Madison Knudson

different cultures and backgrounds can widen their perspectives on people around the world, cultivating an inclusive environment within the classroom. According to The Educational Benefits of Model UN written by Ryan, “in this era of globalization, learning about the world is more important than ever. No matter what field or profession students enter, they will interact with people from different countries and diverse backgrounds. Problems taking place halfway around the globe impact our lives, our country, and our communities.”

Diverse communities in classrooms and workplaces have improved the overall environment by creating open-mindedness—which educates students. Ford mentions that “As a diverse campus prepares all individuals for life in the 21st century and careers in a global economy. In many cases, college will be the first chance students have to live next to, work next to and study with people who aren’t from their town and cultural background.”  When students from foreign places come to study at schools and universities they are given authentic opportunities to learn more about the different places in the world and more about themselves. 

After high school, students are put into a world of people from diverse backgrounds that they may not have interacted with before. The diversity of different people and places has an important influence at BVH. The involvement of international students on campus will make students accustomed to the different perspectives of people from around the world. With the increase of international student enrollment in U.S. schools, BVH should follow the trend and allow more students from different backgrounds to be welcomed onto our campus.

“Studying in the U.S. as an international student can be an exciting and an enriching experience, which is why more and more students choose to come to the U.S. each year,”. Accredited Schools Online (ASO) said in International Students’ Guide to Studying in the U.S. Over the years more foreign students have enrolled into American high schools and colleges. It has nearly tripled between 2004 and 2016, totaling 82,000 international students.

International students visiting U.S. high schools like BVH, allows them to learn things about our school culture but also improve academically. For example, communicating with students on campus can help the international students improve their verbal English skills and writing. This was seen when the Japanese delegates visited BVH when the delegates would communicate and involve themselves in the classroom and with other students. Also mentions that teenagers are encouraged to attend U.S high schools “to broaden their horizons and prepare them for the rigors of higher education.” Along with a higher education students will have the opportunity to  “navigate a different culture.” 

Students may have difficulty understanding a new culture and perspective. However, hosting international students in a school setting can help students understand the cultural and customary differences within people around the world.

According to How U.S. High School Can Prepare International Students for College by Anayat Durrani, “Attending a U.S. high school gives international students lots of opportunities to practice their English as they interact with classmates and teachers.”

Although the international students visiting may have had  different experiences at school, there are similarities between international students and students here at BVH. They both have different experiences that they, and others, can share and learn from one another.

“Students enjoy exploring new places, sharing common experiences with teammates and friends, and making new friends with smart and interesting students from other schools – which includes the best and the brightest from other countries,” Ryan said.